Completely No Charge

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SootSprite

Hey All I am pretty new to owning a spark EV I have a 2016 and I was not able to drive it for about 2 weeks. When I checked it today It will not unlock with my remote when I open the door no lights come on just nothing. I have it plugged into a 120 - v right now but the light didn’t even come on when I plugged it in.

Any Suggestions???

SootSprite said:
Hey All I am pretty new to owning a spark EV I have a 2016 and I was not able to drive it for about 2 weeks. When I checked it today It will not unlock with my remote when I open the door no lights come on just nothing. I have it plugged into a 120 - v right now but the light didn’t even come on when I plugged it in.

Any Suggestions???
First suggestion - check your 12 volt battery voltage. It sounds like it is very low or dead. If it needs to be charged, be sure to use a charger that is specifically designed for charging 12 volt AGM batteries. You might also want to locate a new battery just in case you need to buy one. The battery used in Spark EVs comes from AC Delco and can be hard to find. It is expensive too.

Note: When the car is being charged using an L1 or L2 EVSE, the 12 volt battery is being charged too. I verified this today. I will have to wait to see if, when the HV battery in the car is fully charged, the charging of the 12 volt battery continues.

Update: I found that when connected to an L2 EVSE, charging of the 12 volt battery stops when the car determines it has reached a full charge in the HV battery and stops charging.

Jiggle the negative battery cable at the 12v battery under the hood and it'll come to life.

Mine did this every couple of months for a year before I finally bought a new negative cable for it. It was easy to replace and I've had no problems since.

PROTIP: You can easily get a universal cable to work and save some money, but I just bought GM one.. it was like $35 and super easy to replace.

Back