What is being offered at end of lease?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CSW said:
oregonsparky said:
My lease is up in early august. I called to get payoff from gm financial and see if I could negotiate something better than the residual. They won't budge and have been bombarding us with offers to move into a new GM vehicle..... We bought a new chevy diesel cruze last year... So spark ev is extra car which I now use to keep miles of a more expensive diesel pickup.

The Spark had a high residual (payoff) - which my guess is $4k more than current value - so it is being returned...

jeff

Hm, I wonder at what point they give up trying to get you into a new car and offer you the current car (the spark) for a fair price? Prob the very last day of the lease.
The End-of-Lease price on my contract is $14381 plus tax and fees (28k miles currently on the ODO). That is more than what I paid for my used 2014 Spark EV (1500 miles on the ODO at time of purchase) or my used 2016 Spark EV (6500 miles on the ODO a time of purchase).

MrDRMorgan said:
The End-of-Lease price on my contract is $14381 plus tax and fees (28k miles currently on the ODO).

Wow, that is way too high.

I'm not well versed on the lease process. Who actually owns the vehicle? Is it the dealership that facilitated the delivery of the vehicle, or does the manufacturer own it?

If people aren't buying their cars at end of lease, then hopefully the auction market drives the used prices down. I'd really like to see one in the $4k range in the next year, which probably isn't likely. Maybe the Leaf will drop that low.

Redpoint5 said:
MrDRMorgan said:
The End-of-Lease price on my contract is $14381 plus tax and fees (28k miles currently on the ODO).

Wow, that is way too high.

I'm not well versed on the lease process. Who actually owns the vehicle? Is it the dealership that facilitated the delivery of the vehicle, or does the manufacturer own it?

If people aren't buying their cars at end of lease, then hopefully the auction market drives the used prices down. I'd really like to see one in the $4k range in the next year, which probably isn't likely. Maybe the Leaf will drop that low.
All of my communications have been through GM Financial [ACAR] so, in my case, I think they own the car. The end of lease instructions say I can turn in my leased Spark EV at any Chevrolet dealer. I just have to let them know. I took delivery at Winter Chevrolet in Pittsburg, CA [70 miles from my home] but I will be returning it to American Chevrolet in Modesto, CA [15 miles from my home and where the car has been serviced].

http://www.cargurus.com shows 2015 Spark EVs, model 2LT, going for $8k to $10K near my zip code in Central California. I found my 2014 and 2016 Spark EVs on this site.

I get a kick out of reading posts on this forum where those individuals outside of California, who want to get their hands on a Spark EV, going so far as buying a Spark EV in California and have it trucked across the country.

CSW said:
oregonsparky said:
My lease is up in early august. I called to get payoff from gm financial and see if I could negotiate something better than the residual. They won't budge and have been bombarding us with offers to move into a new GM vehicle..... We bought a new chevy diesel cruze last year... So spark ev is extra car which I now use to keep miles of a more expensive diesel pickup.

The Spark had a high residual (payoff) - which my guess is $4k more than current value - so it is being returned...

jeff

Hm, I wonder at what point they give up trying to get you into a new car and offer you the current car (the spark) for a fair price? Prob the very last day of the lease.

I don't think they will drop the price.... They want you to move to a bigger and more expensive chevy and hope to make up their loss that way.....

I am looking at a used spark ev on a local independent lot that is close to my home. And considering other options.....

oregonsparky said:
CSW said:
oregonsparky said:

jeff

I don't think they will drop the price.... They want you to move to a bigger and more expensive chevy and hope to make up their loss that way.....

I am looking at a used spark ev on a local independent lot that is close to my home. And considering other options.....
When I turned in my 2015 Spark on Tuesday, the dealer did not even try to sell me the car. Instead, I was told they would just wholesale it. Good thing I planned ahead and bought a used 2016 Spark EV to replace the 2015.

MrDRMorgan said:
...When I turned in my 2015 Spark on Tuesday, the dealer did not even try to sell me the car. Instead, I was told they would just wholesale it. ...
That's so weird they would take a chance on a wholesale auction, rather than seeing what they can make by selling it to the leasee. :roll:

NORTON said:
MrDRMorgan said:
...When I turned in my 2015 Spark on Tuesday, the dealer did not even try to sell me the car. Instead, I was told they would just wholesale it. ...
That's so weird they would take a chance on a wholesale auction, rather than seeing what they can make by selling it to the leasee. :roll:
Perhaps it was because the dealer I returned the car to was not the selling dealer. But it was the dealer that did all of the vehicle's servicing. Regardless, someone is going to get a very nice, silver, 2015 Spark EV 2LT in excellent condition and which has the DCFC option. This car had TLC from day 1 and only had about 27k miles on the ODO when I turned it in after 3 years of use.

MrDRMorgan said:
When I turned in my 2015 Spark on Tuesday, the dealer did not even try to sell me the car. Instead, I was told they would just wholesale it. Good thing I planned ahead and bought a used 2016 Spark EV to replace the 2015.

Maybe if you asked a manager if they wanted to sell it? Just to see what they would say?

It does not make good business sense to not try and seize the opportunity to just sell it to the current lease holder....
it is easier for them AND they make more money.

I don't get it.

CSW said:
MrDRMorgan said:

Maybe if you asked a manager if they wanted to sell it? Just to see what they would say?

It does not make good business sense to not try and seize the opportunity to just sell it to the current lease holder....
it is easier for them AND they make more money.

I don't get it.
I really did not care as I had already made up my mind to turn in the car at the end of the lease. The contract wanted $14.7k for the car at the end of the lease. Cargurus.com advertised the same car, same year, same options and same mileage for $8k to $10K. This is a no-brainer to me. Besides, I already own a 2014 and 2016 Spark EV. The 2015 Spark EV was first and I learned what I needed to know about the care and feeding of Spark EVs using this car.

MrDRMorgan said:
I really did not care as I had already made up my mind to turn in the car at the end of the lease. The contract wanted $14.7k for the car at the end of the lease. Cargurus.com advertised the same car, same year, same options and same mileage for $8k to $10K. This is a no-brainer to me. Besides, I already own a 2014 and 2016 Spark EV. The 2015 Spark EV was first and I learned what I needed to know about the care and feeding of Spark EVs using this car.

I did not mean to offend, I just meant to see what they would say, for research purposes.

CSW said:
MrDRMorgan said:

I did not mean to offend, I just meant to see what they would say, for research purposes.
No offense taken. I have read a number of postings on this forum indicating dealers were not willing to do much negotiating of the lease-contract sales price at lease turn-in. I just figured I would run into the same thing and I really did not need the car. Once I arrived at the dealer and got in contact with a financial person who knew what he was doing, I was done and gone in 5 minutes. Do I miss "Sparky". Sure, it was a great little car that performed superbly. But, I still have 2 more great Spark EVs at home that are already mine and both are performing superbly too.

However, if I knew how, I would track Sparky by VIN number and see if I could find out how much Sparky sells for at wholesale auction.

My lease is up in September - got my letter, called GM Finance and was told "we do not negotiate."

Huh, well, so much for my beloved Sparky, I am not paying $14,000 for a car worth $10,000 at best.

What is the turn-in process as far as the dealer is concerned? I turn the car back in to the dealer, how much hands-on do they have? Is it possible to negotiate with the dealer or does the car just go directly to auction?

ReddyKilowatt said:
My lease is up in September - got my letter, called GM Finance and was told "we do not negotiate."

Huh, well, so much for my beloved Sparky, I am not paying $14,000 for a car worth $10,000 at best.

What is the turn-in process as far as the dealer is concerned? I turn the car back in to the dealer, how much hands-on do they have? Is it possible to negotiate with the dealer or does the car just go directly to auction?
Kiss "Sparky" goodbye! You need to set up a wear and tear inspection appointment about 45 days prior to the end of your lease to have Sparky inspected. This will establish whether your Spark EV has excessive wear and tear or not and what damage you may be required to pay for. Be sure your tires have more than 4/32" tread remaining. I had to replace both front tires on my 2015 Spark EV.

Once the inspection has been completed and near the date when your lease ends, you will need to set up and appointment with the dealer where you plan to surrender Sparky. If the dealer is on top of the turn-in process, it should not take more than 10 minutes to surrender Sparky. Be sure to kiss Sparky goodbye!

7 months prior to my turn-in date, and because I knew GM would not negotiate on price, I purchased a used, low-mileage (6500 miles), 2016 Spark EV to replace the 2015 Spark EV I was turning in. So far, the 2016 Spark EV has been free of any problems and is running great. Just yesterday, I completed a 150 mile round trip in 100+ deg. F weather. Yes, the AC was cranked up. Still, I averaged 5.0 mi / kWh at freeway speeds of 60-65 mph.

Note: The HV battery capacity for my 2016 Spark EV with 10.5k miles on the ODO is currently 16.6 kWh. This value was obtained through the OBD2 port in the car by using an OBDLink MX adapter and the TorquePro APP. Many thanks to boatbum1 for posting how to do this on this forum. I installed TorquePro on my old Nexus 7 tablet running Android 5.1.1 and it works great.

ReddyKilowatt said:

quote]

Who there told you this? Some random customer service rep?
This makes no sense for GM to do this......
A used Spark WILL NOT sell for over 10k.
I am going to call them when I get my letter and ask for a supervisor.

I would really like to keep my 2015, but the paperwork says like 14.5k to buy....

As a side note, the buyout on my 2016 Spark is 10k.

Why?! They are the same car!!

CSW said:
ReddyKilowatt said:

quote]

Who there told you this? Some random customer service rep?
This makes no sense for GM to do this......
A used Spark WILL NOT sell for over 10k.
I am going to call them when I get my letter and as for a supervisor.

I would really like to keep my 2015, but the paperwork says like 14.5k to buy....

As a side note, the buyout on my 2016 Spark is 10k.

Why?! They are the same car!!
I turned in my leased 2015 Spark EV rather than keep it for the same reason - the buyout was way too high. So, I searched for and found a low mileage 2016 Spark 2LT and bought it for considerably less than the buyout price for the 2015 Spark EV. So far, the 2016 seems to be better than the 2015.

Eventually you will receive a bill for the "disposition fee." It's either $395 or $595, I don't recall. They will waive this if you lease another GM car. I've also heard that they will waive excess wear/mileage up to a point if you lease another GM car.

I just set up my inspection appointment. I am 76 miles away from the dealer. When I picked up my Spark, I made it home downhill with 10 miles to spare. Going back is uphill so I'll have to stop and charge in between. Then find a CCS station to charge up after the inspection so I can make it home. Probably need to stop and charge along the way again as well. What a hassle!

fr100 said:
I just set up my inspection appointment. I am 76 miles away from the dealer. When I picked up my Spark, I made it home downhill with 10 miles to spare. Going back is uphill so I'll have to stop and charge in between. Then find a CCS station to charge up after the inspection so I can make it home. Probably need to stop and charge along the way again as well. What a hassle!
Don't you have an option to have the inspection done at your home? I did and I took advantage of it. Make sure your tires have a minimum of 4/32 inches of tread left or you will have to replace any tire that doesn't.

If your lease was through GM Financial, you can arrange to turn in your leased vehicle at your closest Chevy dealer. My lease dealer, Winter Chevrolet, is 70 miles from my home. So, I arranged to turn in my car at American Chevrolet located 17 miles from my home.

MrDRMorgan said:
fr100 said:
Don't you have an option to have the inspection done at your home? I did and I took advantage of it. Make sure your tires have a minimum of 4/32 inches of tread left or you will have to replace any tire that doesn't.

If your lease was through GM Financial, you can arrange to turn in your leased vehicle at your closest Chevy dealer. My lease dealer, Winter Chevrolet, is 70 miles from my home. So, I arranged to turn in my car at American Chevrolet located 17 miles from my home.

Thanks for the tip. Mine is through GM Financial. I'll ask the dealer if I can do that.

fr100 said:
MrDRMorgan said:
fr100 said:

Thanks for the tip. Mine is through GM Financial. I'll ask the dealer if I can do that.
Great! Be sure to review the guide GM should have sent to you. GM wants the inspection completed 45 days before turning the car in. I didn't have to pay anything but another forum member indicated there may be a disposition fee too. He said it might be $395 to $595.

Back