25% of Spark sales in April were EV!!

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UptheIrons

http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-spark-ev-accounted-for-nearly-25-of-all-spark-sales-in-april/

Title says it...
Will Chevy sell please sell nationwide so I can buy one in AZ??

Chevy...and ALL manufacturers should have done this to begin with. They'd be so much further ahead in sales and exposure as well.

GM has already announced the end of the Spark EV (to be replaced with the Bolt in late 2016).

I suspect as the factory in South Korea is switching over to a new body style (that won't be shared with the Spark EV), they wanted to get as many out as they can for the likely gap when the isn't any EV being sold by GM (summer 2016?).

No, the Spark EV won't be sold in non CARB-ZEV states, since it's sole purpose for existing is to generate credits for GM.

CARB-Zero Emission Vehicle states - California’s ZEV program has now been adopted by the states of Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island and Vermont. These states, known as the “Section 177 states,” have chosen to adopt California's air quality standards in lieu of federal requirements as authorized under Section 177 of the federal Clean Air Act. Additionally, California’s GHG standards are now spelled out federal law. Maine, Washington DC and New Jersey are participating with ZEV initiatives, but are not signatory CARB-ZEV states

Its very sad to hear the spark will have such a short life, but if the bolt turns out as good as we all hope it might not be that big of a deal. I could see them bringing it back in some form to widen their ev lineup in 2017 or 2018.

TonyWilliams said:
GM has already announced the end of the Spark EV (to be replaced with the Bolt in late 2016)

Tony, do you have a source for this? We know the Bolt Concept is targeted for a late 2016 launch, but I haven't seen anything official from GM on Spark EV after the current 2015 model year, either announcing a 2016 Spark EV, or acknowledging the cessation of production.

http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-built-michigan-october-2016-opel-companion-ev-coming/
http://insideevs.com/general-motors-head-of-consumer-affairs-james-bell-discusses-volt-bolt-video/

no official word from Chevy...
just speculation...

TonyWilliams said:
GM has already announced the end of the Spark EV (to be replaced with the Bolt in late 2016).
GM will lose me as customer if they won't have decent car in SparkEV price range. $38K for any car, let alone EV that'll be practically worthless when battery dies, is ridiculous. SparkEV is the best car of any kind at the moment, even better than Tesla P85D and Corvette.

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2015/05/vs-tesla-p85d-2015-corvette-and-kicking.html

People don't buy subcompacts and EV, because they are putt-putt glorified golf carts. OTOH, SparkEV kicks ass. They could improve on current SparkEV and replace all their subcompact line. Once they advertise it's quickest car under $20K, they'll kill all competition.

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2015/05/sparkev-suggestions.html

But I won't hold my breath from company that crushed EV1 followed by bankruptcy and bailouts while Toyota was making a killing with Hybrids. As I affectionately call GM, "dunce of the automotive world".

fengshui said:
TonyWilliams said:
GM has already announced the end of the Spark EV (to be replaced with the Bolt in late 2016)

Tony, do you have a source for this? We know the Bolt Concept is targeted for a late 2016 launch, but I haven't seen anything official from GM on Spark EV after the current 2015 model year, either announcing a 2016 Spark EV, or acknowledging the cessation of production.

I think somebody linked the InsideEVs article where a GM spokesman basically says, "Spark EV ends, we haven't announced the date."

Not really a shock that they wouldn't keep making one car for CARB-ZEV compliance and a second car (Bolt) that can also be used for compliance. Frankly, it would be a bit silly to keep both, since the Bolt is only slightly larger, and will probably be a 150 EPA range car (that's "200 miles" in PR talk).

All the first generation compliance cars get killed eventually.

Starting in 2012, the six "Large Vehicle Manufacturers" (LVM) were required to sell a minimum number of California Air Resources Board - Zero Emission Vehicle (CARB-ZEV) qualifying vehicles for compliance in California:

Manufacturer - ZEV used for CARB compliance, model years 2012-2014:

Ford - Focus EV - must satisfy US government over $5 billion dollar "loan", in addition to CARB
Honda - Fit EV - stopped in favor of hydrogen
Chrysler/Fiat - 500e - ???? (They seem to be in La La land)
Toyota - Rav4 EV, iQ EV - stopped in favor of hydrogen
GM Chevrolet - Spark EV - will stop in favor of 150-200 mile EV (Bolt)
Nissan - LEAF - was never just a compliance car

TonyWilliams said:
I think somebody linked the InsideEVs article where a GM spokesman basically says, "Spark EV ends, we haven't announced the date."
Which is unfortunate. From Apr. 2015 sales of about 950 cars in 2 states, optimistic projection nation wide would be 950 * 25 = 23750 cars per month, or 285,000 cars per year. Of course, that won't translate directly (eg. cold states), but it has shown that low cost EV (about $15K post subsidies) with decent range and performance could be in very high demand. Seeing how Volt was languishing despite its range, I don't know how well $38K Bolt will do. My hunch is that it won't do well at that price. I certainly won't buy it.

Yes, with all the rebates, you are essentially talking about a $28K Bolt vs. a $15K Spark EV. For my commute needs, I certainly would prefer the Spark at roughly 60% of the cost for half of the range of the Bolt.

Back