Federal Tax incentive available on a demo car?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMenacker

Resident of WV seeking Spark EV ownership. A MD dealer has notified us that a 2015 Chevy Demo Spark EV will become available shortly. Color, trim package and DCFC options are all within wish list requirements.

We have been told that the vehicle has never been titled, but is considered used as it is a demo car and there will be no issues selling to an out of state resident.

If the car has truly never been titled, will the Electric vehicle federal tax incentive be available?

Thank you

This is how I bought a '13 Volt at a bargain price.
It had 2400 miles on it, never titled, and the MSO was included. Manufacturers Statement of Origin. This is what the feds need for you to get the $7500 tax dealio.

Ask about the MSO.

Good Luck !

Update - Federal refund check arrived in the mail today :D.

We purchased our baby blue 2015 SparkEV with DCFC with less than 100miles on the clock last fall for $17k total. The "Certificate of Origin for a Vehicle" provided with the car is dated 11/03/04 and indicates the Name of Distributor as GM CC Training Centers in Warren, MI. All of the puzzle pieces appeared to be in place for the tax incentive to be valid. However, we remained a bit skeptical until the mail arrived today.

We have been extremely pleased with both of our Spark EVs. If the federal tax incentive didn't work out, then we wouldn't have been completely disappointed. Purchasing the car for $10K certainly exceeded our wildest expectations. My better half had been plotting how to get her mitts on a new SparkEV in WV since early 2014.

There is a dealer in Ellicot City, MD that appears to have a few unsold Spark EVs in stock for around $15K - still a great deal on an exceptional vehicle.

Happy Motoring,

Joe M in WV

JMenacker said:
Update - Federal refund check arrived in the mail today :D.

Joe M in WV

Just to be clear, you mean your Federal tax refund check arrived, right? And that it was larger than if you had not bought an EV, correct?

There's no such thing as a Federal EV refund or rebate, only the tax credit that reduces the amount of taxes paid. So you either send in less or get back more of what was withheld. So it's only at tax time that you get the benefit. Changing your withholding amount works of course if you are impatient...

That said, I just finished filling out the CA rebate form and attaching all the required documents, so within 60 days I should be getting a check for $2500.

Next up is the $500 check from my local utility company. They make us wait for the registration to arrive to apply for that, along with the application for carpool stickers. Kinda sucks to turn in a car with stickers, then hafta wait 6-10 weeks for new ones while remembering to stay out of the commuter lane!

Back