Rear Spoiler Removal

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDRMorgan

Anyone know how to remove / reinstall the rear spoiler on a Spark EV? I replaced the rear wiper blade (wrong size) on my used 2016 Spark EV with the correct GM wiper blade. When I tested the wiper, it hit something under the spoiler. The object hit was a small rear view camera - approximately 1-inch square - the previous owner had installed - the reason for installing the wrong wiper blade. I have no idea if the camera works or not but I want to remove it. Suggestions please.

Note: I was able to find an 11-inch Bosch wiper blade and, with a little modification, it fit and cleared the camera. I think this is the blade the original owner must have used. However, I would still like to install the original blade as it cleans the rear window much better and provides a much larger field of view.

Since no-one else has responded, this is my educated guess. I wouldn't be surprised that it would involve removing the rear hatch panel, which would probably reveal 3-5 nuts in holes in the frame, they are what keep the spoiler secured (the plastic hatch panel should be secured by a combination of bolt(s)/screw(s) and plastic pressure clips) In a prior life I installed car electronics including many a back up camera, which usually included PITA installs like this one would be :)

TheLondonBroiler said:
Since no-one else has responded, this is my educated guess. I wouldn't be surprised that it would involve removing the rear hatch panel, which would probably reveal 3-5 nuts in holes in the frame, they are what keep the spoiler secured (the plastic hatch panel should be secured by a combination of bolt(s)/screw(s) and plastic pressure clips) In a prior life I installed car electronics including many a back up camera, which usually included PITA installs like this one would be :)
Thanks for your reply. It looks like there are 2 nuts on each side plus 3 nuts or bolts under 3 plastic covers. If I remove the spoiler, I want to make sure I do not damage anything like the stop light connection or the rear window washer.

You are correct. I just went and paid my property tax on my Spark and looked at the hatch while in my garage. I wouldn't be surprised if there are still plastic "pop" fasteners or double sided tape/foam that might adhere it as well. After removing the two nuts on each side, and whatever it's under the four black/gray circle covers (probably nuts too, I'd be tempted to grasp the spoiler with two hands and try to jar it free. If it doesn't budge, careful use with non-marring pry tools to work from the bottom of the spoiler up, would probably be the way to attack it. Good luck.

TheLondonBroiler said:
You are correct. I just went and paid my property tax on my Spark and looked at the hatch while in my garage. I wouldn't be surprised if there are still plastic "pop" fasteners or double sided tape/foam that might adhere it as well. After removing the two nuts on each side, and whatever it's under the four black/gray circle covers (probably nuts too, I'd be tempted to grasp the spoiler with two hands and try to jar it free. If it doesn't budge, careful use with non-marring pry tools to work from the bottom of the spoiler up, would probably be the way to attack it. Good luck.
Thanks. I did see that the window sprayer is not connected to the spoiler.

19 Feb 18: It was easier than I first thought. Two nuts on each side plus one under each of 4 plastic hole covers. Camera is now gone, correct wiper blade has been installed and a couple of mistakes the installer made have been corrected. The GM part number for the round plastic hole is 95393360.

Back