Page 1 of 1

Happy, Happy

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:20 pm
by SparkE
I am SO happy that I bought my 2nd Spark EV last year. It had only 12K miles, DCFC, and I paid a tad over $8000 for it. Now, it is rare to find any Spark EVs with less than 20K miles, and the prices for low mileage cars seem to be over $10K in my area (SF Bay Area). I guess it is because there were a small number made (?about 4000?) and there aren't that many available anymore on the used market.

It is the PERFECT suburban vehicle. I wish it had about 120 mile range (because then I could use it for 98% of my driving, including trips up to the SF airport or SF itself without recharging, instead of "only" about 90%) but it is still a great car. I still get over 100 miles range on the GOM around town.

Re: Happy, Happy

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:35 pm
by ZNuts
Good for you, I'm still looking. Emailed some dealer here and asked what the bottom line price is for a 2015 with 30k miles. Their response is "$9xxx" but tax is included, the same as listed price.

There's no tax for used EV below $16k here anyway... @!$^

I'm in no hurry but I'm seriously thinking about a getting an ugly LEAF instead.

Re: Happy, Happy

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:23 pm
by SparkE
You should set the "location" field in your profile so we know what you are talking about when you say "here".

LEAFs had a HUGE problem with battery degradation. The hotter the area, the worse it was. You *never* want to charge a gen 1 LEAF when it is hot - always early in the morning or overnight. Don't buy one that was from Arizona (or SoCal) !!

A least the LEAF has a display to show you how good/bad the battery degradation is (12 bars, each one about 8% battery capacity).

I looked for almost a year before I found the Spark I wanted. I looked every day or every other day on two different sites (www.cargurus.com and www.autoblog.com ). I *almost* bought a 2012 LEAF because it had 16,000 miles and the photo of the dash showed all 12 bars still lit, for $4500 !! But when I called (4 hours after it was posted) I was told that they had just sold it. Don't give up - just keep looking. Like I said, I looked for almost a year before I found the one I wanted. cargurus posts generally have pictures, but not always the ones you want.

The battery in the SparkEV degrades much more slowly that the LEAF (but it *does* degrade - I baby my battery).

Re: Happy, Happy

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:35 am
by NORTON
SparkE wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:20 pm
... I guess it is because there were a small number made (?about 4000?) and there aren't that many available anymore on the used market.....
I remember reading there were ~7500 sent to North America. Don't remember where....
Other countries got them also.
Some with big heated outside rear view mirrors and factory backup cameras!

Re: Happy, Happy

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:39 pm
by SparkE
NORTON wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:35 am
SparkE wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:20 pm
... I guess it is because there were a small number made (?about 4000?) and there aren't that many available anymore on the used market.....
I remember reading there were ~7500 sent to North America. Don't remember where....
Other countries got them also.
Some with big heated outside rear view mirrors and factory backup cameras!
OK, I just went to :
https://insideevs.com/news/344007/month ... al-charts/

and added them up :

2017 : 0023
2016 : 3035
2015 : 2629
2013 : 0539

== 7371 total Spark EVs sold in the U.S. (according to insideevs)

Re: Happy, Happy

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:20 am
by Kermit
SparkE wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:39 pm
NORTON wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:35 am
SparkE wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:20 pm
... I guess it is because there were a small number made (?about 4000?) and there aren't that many available anymore on the used market.....
I remember reading there were ~7500 sent to North America. Don't remember where....
Other countries got them also.
Some with big heated outside rear view mirrors and factory backup cameras!
OK, I just went to :
https://insideevs.com/news/344007/month ... al-charts/

and added them up :

2017 : 0023
2016 : 3035
2015 : 2629
2013 : 0539

== 7371 total Spark EVs sold in the U.S. (according to insideevs)
That's a low number produced! I always thought my 1997 V8 SHO had low numbers at 19,730. At least the car shares the body of a mass produced gasser so parts should remain available for awhile.

Re: Happy, Happy

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:41 am
by sachan0101
SparkE wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:39 pm
NORTON wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:35 am
SparkE wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:20 pm
... I guess it is because there were a small number made (?about 4000?) and there aren't that many available anymore on the used market.....
I remember reading there were ~7500 sent to North America. Don't remember where....
Other countries got them also.
Some with big heated outside rear view mirrors and factory backup cameras!
OK, I just went to :
https://insideevs.com/news/344007/month ... al-charts/

and added them up :

2017 : 0023
2016 : 3035
2015 : 2629
2013 : 0539

== 7371 total Spark EVs sold in the U.S. (according to insideevs)
I think you missed the 2014 sale number 1145. So total Spark EV sold in the US of all these years should be 8516. Anyway, I love my 2015 with DC charger. When sport mode was one and traction control were off, it ran like a bat out the hell on the road.