New Spark EV 1LT is home!

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markcmann

I finally received my Titanium metallic Spark EV 1LT. So far I really like it, very nimble, quick and tons of tech inside and out. The Sport mode really allows you to feel the full brunt of the 400 lb/ft of torque.

Below are some quick pics (excuse the quality):

IMG_0001_zpsdd8f3c5f.jpg

IMG_0009_zps4f5808f1.jpg

IMG_0007_zpsd6fa8568.jpg

IMG_0002_zpsf8d7d64b.jpg

IMG_0005_zpsef5b661b.jpg

IMG_0008_zps2239557d.jpg

IMG_0003_zps7723ba70.jpg

Interesting is the 'L' gear mode ('B' on other EV's), this is the regeneration mode which takes a bit getting use to but it appears to really assist in recapturing battery energy, although I've only driven it about 30 miles so far.

Next BIG test will be commuting to work (49 mile round trip), I'm sure I'll feel a little range anxiety the first day but I don't think it will be an issue.

blownb310 said:
Very nice! You're going to have some fun with that car I'm sure. An instant celebrity at EV gatherings! :)

Lots of fun for sure! I've got everything dialed in including the super off peak charging schedule so once plugged in, it will not start charging until midnight, very cool. The Remotelink iOS app is nice so I can pre-condition the car so it's not 100 degrees inside prior to leaving the garage. Last night it fully charged in about three and a half hours from about 40% charge.

One thing that surprised me is the RemoteLink app seems to work through OnStar, and requires an OnStar contract. Sort of a bummer - although the first 6 months is free, I don't really have a general need for it - such as routing, emergency call, or cell phone - all of which are done better and cheaper directly with a modern smartphone, but do want the mobile app connectivity for charging status. sigh

scotte said:
One thing that surprised me is the RemoteLink app seems to work through OnStar, and requires an OnStar contract. Sort of a bummer - although the first 6 months is free, I don't really have a general need for it - such as routing, emergency call, or cell phone - all of which are done better and cheaper directly with a modern smartphone, but do want the mobile app connectivity for charging status. sigh

Actually the Spark EV comes with 36 months of free OnStar and fives years of remote lock/unlock/remote start via the RemoteLink app. I confirmed that with OnStar when I activated the account.

markcmann said:
scotte said:
Actually the Spark EV comes with 36 months of free OnStar and fives years of remote lock/unlock/remote start via the RemoteLink app. I confirmed that with OnStar when I activated the account.

Thanks for the clarification! I discovered this today when I activated it. I'm not sure where the 6 month thing came from, but Volt owners have reported the same thing - that it's actually 36 months even though everything says it's only 6 months.

I got a Titanium 1LT just like this two weeks ago. I'd post pictures, but I like your house and driveway better and the car looks the same anyway. Three year lease, $2100 out the door including 1st payment, $225 a month. We are keeping our Honda Fit and replacing a 20 year old Accord with 1/4 million miles (great car, sorry to see it go, but we have squeezed most of the juice out of it). Between the various subsidies and the operating and maintenance cost savings over the other cars it is only costing us about $40 a month to have the new Spark instead of keeping the Accord.

I'm really pleased with the car so far. It's not up to the standards of a Honda Fit in about seven different ways, but the powertrain is amazing and that makes up for a lot. Enough so that I often prefer to drive the Spark. I hope it can keep up the good first impression.

The last "American" cars in our whole extended family were a Citation X-11, a Vega, and a Ford LTD wagon that caught fire ... twice. None of us has bought an "American" car for the subsequent 40 years. The US makers basically turned away an entire generation in the 70s and 80s. Just being on a Chevy sales lot was a bit of an out of body experience, not somewhere I ever pictured myself. But the Spark EV is an interesting car, I thought I'd like to test drive one just for the experience. I will be more than delighted if GM has finally pulled it's head out and figured out how to make good cars, it would be great to have decent stuff made here (I know, Korean, but the motors are made here). I'm hoping for the best on this. People seem to like their Volt's, and I drove a Sonic rental a few months ago that was not bad at all, the first small GM car I've driven that wasn't icky. That said, 3 year lease, just in case.

A criticism, for all the flash and splash of the displays, there is not really much information. It would be nice to have actual state of charge, and mileage since charge (not just a re-settable trip millage), an extra trip odo would be good too. The energy history graph is particularly bad, the X axis seems backwards, and the Y axis labels are too coarse to be useful. The energy flow animation is just stupid. It duplicates information already on the other display and does it less well. Surely they could have used the memory for something more valuable. Also, the energy information screens idea of mi/kwh does not seem to agree with the "drive cycle" screen that appears when you turn off the car.

I'd also like to be able to get at the charge/discharge data to import it to a computer to track. Is there a way to do this? It seems like onstar can get some of it.

Back