Chevy Spark EV Forum

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: new spark ev owner in Alabama
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:27 am 

mspicela wrote:
We loaded up the whole family and drove around. It was peppy and fun. For being such a small car, it was comfortable for 4.]

I'm married with two kids. I'm looking to replace my gasoline coupe with an electric sedan, as a daily commuter and backup family hauler. Our main family hauler, the minivan, of course has plenty of room for the bulky child safety seats that our kids (age 6 and 3) need. The Spark EV is obviously small, so I'm very interested in your experience. Are your kids small enough to need kid seats? How's that worked out?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:06 am 

I can comment on my limited experience. The intent for my Spark is similar to yours. We have a minivan that is now relegated to out of town travel and when the Spark won't fit everybody. This past weekend, we had 3 in the car (1 adult, 2 tweens) for a trip the swimming pool. It was tight with all the swimming gear they brought. If you're "not tall", you should be able to fit the kids in safety seats or booster seats in back but you really should visit a dealer to be sure your situation makes sense for this car. If you're accustomed to your minivan, which is so incredibly practical, you may be surprised at how little room remains when 4 people are in the Spark.

Also, and this may not be obvious at the dealer, the seats have pretty thin backs so any long knees or kicking feet will get noticed by the front seat driver/passenger.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:03 am 

Carney wrote:
The Spark EV is obviously small, so I'm very interested in your experience. Are your kids small enough to need kid seats? How's that worked out?

Kid seats fit great in the Spark EV. Since there's no middle seat in back, there's plenty of room for even the largest car seats. My kids are 5 and 2, and we have no problems. A backless booster seat for the 5 year old can even be tossed quickly in the cargo area when you want to carry 3 adults. I also regularly stick longer items (boogie boards, etc.) in the seat wells in front of the kids. They don't like it for long rides, but it's fine for the quick trip to the pool or beach.

Do you still use a stroller? When we got the Spark EV initially, my youngest was 1, and we were concerned about fitting a stroller in the rear. We brought our smaller stroller along for the test drive and made sure it fit. I'd recommend you do the same with your car seats and any other large kid equipment. I'm sure such testing is common with smaller cars, and the dealer will have no problem with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:47 pm 

fengshui wrote:
Carney wrote:
The Spark EV is obviously small, so I'm very interested in your experience. Are your kids small enough to need kid seats? How's that worked out?

Kid seats fit great in the Spark EV. Since there's no middle seat in back, there's plenty of room for even the largest car seats. My kids are 5 and 2, and we have no problems. A backless booster seat for the 5 year old can even be tossed quickly in the cargo area when you want to carry 3 adults. I also regularly stick longer items (boogie boards, etc.) in the seat wells in front of the kids. They don't like it for long rides, but it's fine for the quick trip to the pool or beach.

Do you still use a stroller? When we got the Spark EV initially, my youngest was 1, and we were concerned about fitting a stroller in the rear. We brought our smaller stroller along for the test drive and made sure it fit. I'd recommend you do the same with your car seats and any other large kid equipment. I'm sure such testing is common with smaller cars, and the dealer will have no problem with it.

Almost never use the stroller anymore. Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:22 am 

I have 3 kids, ages 2, 5, and 7. Obviously I can't get all 3 in at a time but we have a full-size carseat for the 2-year-old and a booster for the older 2 and that fits great. Only downside is the kids love riding in the Spark and are always fighting over whose turn it is.