Over 11 Miles per KWh

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevesWeb

Yesterday I drove from my home in South Corona to the city center using surface streets and trying to recoup as much kinetic energy as possible.

high-efficiency.jpg

That would not have been possible in most cars,

WOW. :shock: That's astounding.

How big a hill and how much of a tailwind? :mrgreen:

How'd you do on the return trip? ;)

Am I the only one who forgets about the "trip" display after turning the car off until the second it is turning off? I always wish there was a way for it to re-display that information, but I can't seem to figure out a way to recall the info!

Bryce

Nashco said:
How'd you do on the return trip? ;)

That's exactly the relevant question, of course.

We live on top of a hill, and it is very much downhill much of the route I traveled. On the way home I took the two longer sides of a right triangle, adding a stop, and I did not catch the first uphill segment result, but on the longer final leg home, with our very steep lane, I got 3.7kWh.

Often I get about 4.1 kWh overall.

For those who may not have tried it, keep in mind that the shifter simply sends commands to the electronics, so there are no worries about shifting into "Low" any time. I use it whenever I can and often do not touch my wide pedal until I want a complete stop.

The other pedal, the narrow one on the right, I call the Volt Pedal. I also registered voltpedal.com but have not decided what to do with it yet.

That's pretty amazing, I'm getting about 5.5 on a generally flat route back and forth to work. I once got 27 coming down a hill for almost the entire trip. Crazy.

I'm wondering about the use of the L "gear." I use it most of the time, but not on the freeway. Is it okay to use L on the freeway too?

AlamedaSparky said:
I'm wondering about the use of the L "gear." I use it most of the time, but not on the freeway. Is it okay to use L on the freeway too?

I think it would not harm anything and it would make the car slow down too quickly if you lighten the pressure on the volt pedal. At those kinds of speeds I have not used it.

I routinely drive 55-65 in low.
In fact, I rarely put it in drive as it startles me when I lift off the volt pedal and it doesn't slow down immediately. After six weeks, the Spark feels out of control when in drive.

Nashco said:
Am I the only one who forgets about the "trip" display after turning the car off until the second it is turning off? I always wish there was a way for it to re-display that information, but I can't seem to figure out a way to recall the info!

Bryce
You can just turn the car on again and shut right back off to display the last trip information. I forget to look sometimes as well. :)

NomadMac said:
I routinely drive 55-65 in low.
In fact, I rarely put it in drive as it startles me when I lift off the volt pedal and it doesn't slow down immediately. After six weeks, the Spark feels out of control when in drive.
I always drive in "L". Now when I drive my wife's ice mijnivan I get wierded out when I take my foot off the throttle and the car doesn't slow down.

I'm on the opposite side. I always use Drive. To me, the Spark feels sluggish when I drive in Low, and one of the main reasons I picked the SparkEV was for the driving experience. The other day, I accidentally shifted into Low and had a small panic attack when I stepped off the accelerator and the car started to slow. I thought I was having engine issues and that the engine had stalled or something. I was quite relieved to look down and see the stick shift in the Low position.

AlamedaSparky said:
That's pretty amazing, I'm getting about 5.5 on a generally flat route back and forth to work. I once got 27 coming down a hill for almost the entire trip. Crazy.

L does not change anything mechanical at all so it cane used at anytime. All it does is change how aggressively regeneration occurs when you lift off the pedal. You can always get regeneration by braking.

I rarely use L, I didn't notice any significant change in efficiency when I use it but I feel I have better control in drive.

In general it is better to coast than to regenerate an then use that energy to accelerate again because there are fewer losses.

Over 3000 miles my average is 5.5mi/kWh. On my commute from Los Gatos to Cupertino I get about 8mi/kWh in one direction and about 5mi/kWh in the other. My average for AC input is about 4.8mi/kWh. So the efficiency of the charger and battery is about 84%.

kevin

I've been getting 5.4 miles per kWh overall but consistently can get 8 miles per kWh when going from Burbank to Glendale on surface streets. On the way back I get about 6 miles per kWh.

Of course the problem is every time I see a car behind me with HID's blazing, I know it's time to dust a few people...thus killing my exemplary mileage...lol

I really do wish there was an HID retrofit for this car....it really needs it IMO..the stock lights are pretty bad.

Oh and I drive in L all the time...but it does piss off people behind me...the brake lights do not come on and sudden deceleration is dangerous.

nozferatu said:
I really do wish there was an HID retrofit for this car....it really needs it IMO..the stock lights are pretty bad.

You keep repeating this. If you really want it, you can get HID Projectors installed into custom modified headlight housings. There are a bunch of guys in India who have done it with our brother the Chevrolet Beat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S77luNBamXU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZZrHLYGvV4

Lots of guys will do custom setups like this (in the US as well) if you're willing to pay. If you're handy, it's not rocket science...they take a set of universal HID projectors, a set of OEM headlight housings, and then modify the OEM housings to hold on to the projectors and seal properly.

Bryce

Nashco said:
nozferatu said:

You keep repeating this. If you really want it, you can get HID Projectors installed into custom modified headlight housings. There are a bunch of guys in India who have done it with our brother the Chevrolet Beat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S77luNBamXU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZZrHLYGvV4

Lots of guys will do custom setups like this (in the US as well) if you're willing to pay. If you're handy, it's not rocket science...they take a set of universal HID projectors, a set of OEM headlight housings, and then modify the OEM housings to hold on to the projectors and seal properly.

Bryce

I keep repeating it so GM gets the hint!!!!

It should have come stock...and my car is leased..no way I'm cutting it up.

nozferatu said:

However, you already bought the car DESPITE lacking this option. You also keep repeating that you're unwilling to pay $$$ more for X option you wish it had.

So you're kind of making it worse, even on the absolute off-chance that somebody from GM product development drops in here.

Bryce

Nashco said:
nozferatu said:

However, you already bought the car DESPITE lacking this option. You also keep repeating that you're unwilling to pay $$$ more for X option you wish it had.

So you're kind of making it worse, even on the absolute off-chance that somebody from GM product development drops in here.

Bryce

Bryce you're mixing me up with someone else in regards to the bolded comment you made above. I've been the one saying I'll pay for more these options while others have said they won't. So that statement is flat out incorrect.

I chose this car not because I was unwilling to pay more. I chose it because it was my favourite design out the what's out there...and we can count on one hand how many EV options there are out there. That doesn't mean I won't pay more for HID's an sunroof, and other amenities.

I don't think I'm making it worse because if they want a repeat customer...as do all automakers, they better make sure in three years the next iteration is better equipped.

I'm confused. You can pay Super Awesome Headlights, LLC to sell you custom headlight assemblies for $1000. At the end of your lease, you can sell those to Joe Secondhand for $600 and return the vehicle to stock. It would cost you $$$ to have X option that you wish the vehicle had from the factory. Are you willing to pay $$$ for X option?

Bryce

Nashco said:
I'm confused. You can pay Super Awesome Headlights, LLC to sell you custom headlight assemblies for $1000. At the end of your lease, you can sell those to Joe Secondhand for $600 and return the vehicle to stock. It would cost you $$$ to have X option that you wish the vehicle had from the factory. Are you willing to pay $$$ for X option?

Bryce

Yes I am...I want factory installed options...not aftermarket. I'm OK with that. It won't cost $1000 for an option l like that to come from the factory for one. And I don't have to deal with aftermarket installs - removal, shipment, etc etc etc.

HIDs are an $850 option (retail) on a CLA 250 MB straight from the factory.

I'll look into the SAH, LLC units but I can't find anything on them...i.e their website, etc.

Back