Chevy Spark EV Forum

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HYPER RANGE?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:25 am 

Hi Sparkers!

i drove the hell out of my Sparky last weekend.
Oakland to Sacramento in wicked 106 degree heat.
Deep discharges on both end of the trip, (made it with 4 miles to spare!)

Anyway, when i got home and charge her up again, she read:

130 miles MAX
109 miles estimated
87 miles minimum

so far the number seem to be holding at least roughly
has anyone else seen this effect?

bryan tracy

Last edited by bryantracy on Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Hyper range?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:46 am 

Wow that's impressive. I think this definitely goes to show that the Spark EV can go well over 82 miles if driven very cautiously. Personally I have a short 18 mile commute to school with charging stations on both sides so I have as much fun as possible and usually see the advertised max range. I have made a commute to Riverside from Downey before (57 miles) and did see that I was getting better efficiency even though I was averaging like 65mph. All freeway driving, low AC, and cruise control. I think the cruise control really helps honestly. I've stayed under 25kw/m while going 70 miles simply by using cruise control. Did you use the AC? How long did it take you to charge in Sacramento, and did you see any battery conditioning?

Post subject: Re: Hyper range?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:41 am 

Hi Chaconzies

i will reply shortly in more detail, but if you send me your email, i will send the picture of the range meter.

I am getting about 8-9 KW @50mph in cruise control. Love crusie control. I had medium level of AC going.

The honest truth was that i picked up 20miles while eating lunch in Davis (free charging in Davis)
On the way home, i went all the way from Sac State to Lafayette, but then i was really hot, thirsty,
and a little nervous about getting thru the Highway 24 tunnel to Oakland, so i picked up 5 more free
miles while drinking a lemonade at the Lafayette Whole Foods. Make it back to my house with 5 miles to spare!

I definetly think some battery conditioning is going on. Can't wait to try out a FAST CD charger somewhere.

thanks for your reply

bryan

Chaconzies wrote:
Wow that's impressive. I think this definitely goes to show that the Spark EV can go well over 82 miles if driven very cautiously. Personally I have a short 18 mile commute to school with charging stations on both sides so I have as much fun as possible and usually see the advertised max range. I have made a commute to Riverside from Downey before (57 miles) and did see that I was getting better efficiency even though I was averaging like 65mph. All freeway driving, low AC, and cruise control. I think the cruise control really helps honestly. I've stayed under 25kw/m while going 70 miles simply by using cruise control. Did you use the AC? How long did it take you to charge in Sacramento, and did you see any battery conditioning?

Post subject: Re: HYPER RANGE?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:49 pm 

High temps = low air density = less drag (and higher tire pressures if you haven't adjusted them).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:47 pm 

Why didn't you just use the quick charger in Sacramento if you wanted to try out a quick charge. Seems like that would be the perfect time to use one. I'm actually thinking of driving from Sacramento to Berkeley in a week for the night. How much did you charge in sacramento(and where?) I figure I'll be driving from sacramento at about 96%(coming from 70 miles out of sacramento with a qc pitt stop) and most likely driving sacramento to Berkeley at about 55-60 the whole way.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:13 am 

Wait wait wait...

You said 130 miles max.
Is that what you got with NO CHARGING in between ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:37 pm 

No, the reader stated above he charged for a total of 25 miles.

bryantracy wrote:
The honest truth was that i picked up 20miles while eating lunch in Davis (free charging in Davis)
On the way home, i went all the way from Sac State to Lafayette, but then i was really hot, thirsty,
and a little nervous about getting thru the Highway 24 tunnel to Oakland, so i picked up 5 more free
miles while drinking a lemonade at the Lafayette Whole Foods
. Make it back to my house with 5 miles to spare!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:09 am 

Chaconzies wrote:
No, the reader stated above he charged for a total of 25 miles.

bryantracy wrote:
miles while drinking a lemonade at the Lafayette Whole Foods
. Make it back to my house with 5 miles to spare!

Correct, but he didn't state that in the 1st post and I admit I didn't read the full 2nd post by the person who started this.

I just wanted to be clear that is wasn't 130 miles driven WITHOUT any top offs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:21 pm 

I've gotten up to 152 Max and around 117 actual range...if I remember correctly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:04 pm 

I managed to peg everything starting at a full charge on top of a mountain (in Idyllwild) and regening like crazy going down hill:

http://imgur.com/6zfanKd