"Camper conversion on my 2015 eSpark"

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I'd share this picture here.

My friend took this on an astronomy trip last June. I had converted the rear space of the car to accommodate a custom raised floor I could sleep out the back of it without the lip of the trunk getting in the way. I could store a weeks worth of food, two ropes and all my climbing gear, 10 gallons of water and a cooler. I also had a small backpacking tent, a propane stove, and extra clothes stashed under the driver seat. I ended up doing over 1,200 miles exploring my state for a week. This was on the tail end of that crazy adventure, and now my car is back in it's original form. But it still does a lot of offroading and driving out to remote climbing crags.

Enjoy : )
MG_9975.jpg

(I also learned the eSpark is really good at fording rivers.)
Spark_1.JPG

(And here is a dirt road that lead me to my first "true" offroad experience. We had to cross a mountain range VIA an ATV trail to get to our next charge session.)
20190603_134543.jpg

Those are awesome pics !!

You sir, truly live up to your handle!

Is the orange tarp one of those light weight tarps?
Can you show the floor mod? I need ideas for car camping in my Element.

NORTON said:
Those are awesome pics !!

You sir, truly live up to your handle!

Is the orange tarp one of those light weight tarps?
Can you show the floor mod? I need ideas for car camping in my Element.

I don't have a floor plan anymore- my SD card with all the photo and video of me doing the conversion died. What I did was get a plastic pallet and cut out parts of the floor that conflicted with the raised HV disconnect. I had about 8cm of space I could store stuff in under my bed and it raised my bed and "living" space just above the lip of the hatch. I also had gear loops running in between the handles in the back seat so I could hang my climbing gear up. I bet someone has done it to a Honda Element.

The tarp is off the shelf on a custom frame. Back when I had it converted I would use a frame to cover just the trunk opening, and in turn my head, but when I was staying in a location for more than a few days I would attach a tent to the back and use it as a vestibule to give me more space. Funny enough both times I did it it rained (hence the raincoat in the top image) so having all that space meant I didn't have to cook in my tent!

20190603_134600.jpg

dsc_0166_2.jpg

20190604_185307_HDR.jpg

dsc_0363_2.jpg

20190629_205816.jpg

^This one was taken before I figured out how to wire an inverter to the back so I can use an electric stove
dsc_0085_3.jpg

20190401_185216_HDR.jpg

^First time crossing a state border in a car designed for the city
Sparkie_6.JPG

^Image taken as we retreated from the scariest 5.8 I have ever attempted.
20200530_184507_HDR.jpg

^First time camping at a designated campsite
clipped.jpg

^This is the kind of camping I am used to. . .

The Spark can truly take a beating. I've run it through rivers. Hooned it in the mud, driven it on slickrock, high centered the vehicle on multiple occasions, fit three people and a 14 diameter dobsonian telescope in the back seat. Yea. . . I am surprised i haven't had to take it in yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j8gDofcC0g

This is amazing! I just got a used 2016 Spark ev and am so interested in doing some of my own travel camping across the US in it - how did you get around charging it? My main issue so far has been the limited miles it can charge to complete in such a long time, and with such spare available chargers in unfamiliar places, I worry about running my charge down and needing a tow.

Also, I've seen similar stories from people in say a Prius who could run climate control when needed, and I foresee that being a possible issue; did you run into any problems with that, or were you just very careful with coordinating your trip with the weather?

Thank you, this is really such a great testimony that it's a possibility!

Sara

Back