RSC

Re: Weird Behavior

Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:03 pm

Kaitsuni wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:52 pm
After doing some research I concluded that Battery Minder is a better option than Battery Tender (desulfating function + warranty). Note that model 1510 carries a 10yr warranty and better clips than model 1500 (5yr warranty). I originally got the charger for my family 6-seater non-electric Mazda 5, which we don't drive much, so the battery got discharged quite often. But the charger works fine on Spark as well. Definitely recommend it.
Thank you. My daughter has a Mazda 5 6-seater as well. Pretty impressive that we could get all six of us (daughter, son-in-law, two grandchildren with car seats, and two grandparents) in such a small footprint.
Ray
2015 Spark EV 1LT, DCFC

MrDRMorgan

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:28 pm

RSC wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:03 pm
Kaitsuni wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:52 pm
After doing some research I concluded that Battery Minder is a better option than Battery Tender (desulfating function + warranty). Note that model 1510 carries a 10yr warranty and better clips than model 1500 (5yr warranty). I originally got the charger for my family 6-seater non-electric Mazda 5, which we don't drive much, so the battery got discharged quite often. But the charger works fine on Spark as well. Definitely recommend it.
Thank you. My daughter has a Mazda 5 6-seater as well. Pretty impressive that we could get all six of us (daughter, son-in-law, two grandchildren with car seats, and two grandparents) in such a small footprint.
Please be aware that the charging voltage / profile for a 12 volt AGM battery is different than that for a standard 12 volt flooded-cell lead-acid battery. Charging a 12 volt AGM battery with a charger designed for a 12 volt flooded-cell lead-acid battery may eventually damage the AGM battery.

I am using a Battery Minder model 2012-AGM to charge the 12 volt AGM batteries in both of my Spark EVs. This charger also has an option to allow charging through the OBD 2 connector inside of the car. It works great!

RSC

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:53 pm

MrDRMorgan wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:28 pm
Please be aware that the charging voltage / profile for a 12 volt AGM battery is different than that for a standard 12 volt flooded-cell lead-acid battery. Charging a 12 volt AGM battery with a charger designed for a 12 volt flooded-cell lead-acid battery may eventually damage the AGM battery.

I am using a Battery Minder model 2012-AGM to charge the 12 volt AGM batteries in both of my Spark EVs. This charger also has an option to allow charging through the OBD 2 connector inside of the car. It works great!
Thank you. I have both the 2012-AGM and the 1510 in my Amazon wish list. I thought that the 1510 was specified as working with AGM batteries, but on reading more carefully I see that the 1510 is described as working with Optima brand sealed AGM batteries, not AGM batteries in general. I'll look into this before placing an order.
Ray
2015 Spark EV 1LT, DCFC

Return to “Engineering and Features”