Daytime Running Lights

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbroders

I'm kind of annoyed that my headlights are always on. I turn them off regularly when I start the car, but this disables the automatic feature of turning lights on in darkness (parking garage), or rain (as required by CA law).

Is there anyway to disable the Daytime Running Lights?

Alternatively, does anyone know how many watts the headlights use?

Thanks -- Bob

rbroders said:
I'm kind of annoyed that my headlights are always on. I turn them off regularly when I start the car, but this disables the automatic feature of turning lights on in darkness (parking garage), or rain (as required by CA law).

Is there anyway to disable the Daytime Running Lights?

Alternatively, does anyone know how many watts the headlights use?

Thanks -- Bob

According to the manual, the headlamps are H13 halogen bulbs, which appear to consume 60W/55W. At 4 miles per kWh, running the lights for one hour would consume around 1/4 mile of range.

Ah, thanks. 55W x 2bulbs = 110W. 0.11KWHr * 4mi/KWHr = 0.44 miles of range. Or about 1/2 mile per hour.

Probably not enough to mess you up but still enough to be annoying. Too bad they didn't put in a proper LED daytime running light.

-Bob

rbroders said:
Ah, thanks. 55W x 2bulbs = 110W. 0.11KWHr * 4mi/KWHr = 0.44 miles of range. Or about 1/2 mile per hour.

Probably not enough to mess you up but still enough to be annoying. Too bad they didn't put in a proper LED daytime running light.

Doh! I forgot to double for two bulbs. Thanks. :)

Hey so here is an alternative that I found with only 7. 5 W that can be used as headlight or daytime running lights. They are h13 LED replacements. What do you think?

Link: http://dx.com/p/sencart-h13-7-5w-600lm-5-led-white-light-car-headlamp-fog-signal-lamp-2-pcs-12-24v-167743?tc=USD&gclid=CPDOo8206rkCFYZ_QgodlGoAeQ

-Luke

Sparkie said:
Hey so here is an alternative that I found with only 7. 5 W that can be used as headlight or daytime running lights. They are h13 LED replacements. What do you think?

Oh cool, 10% of the power usage! But check the lumens (or candelas) compared to the stock lights to see if they're any dimmer (and how much.)

I wrote a automotive lighting expert about this discussion and here is his response:

On Nov 22, 2013, at 11:30 AM, Consult Daniel Stern Lighting<[email protected]
"LED bulbs" such as you describe are a joke. A toy. Not a legitimate product. They do not produce even a tiny fraction of the amount of light required for the low or high beam function, and the paltry light they do produce isn't even remotely close to being distributed correctly.

More generally, "LED bulbs" are not safe, effective, or legal in _any_ of a vehicle's exterior lights. Each and every vehicle lighting function is regulated in detail as to intensity, intensity ratio, color, vertical and horizontal angular range of photometry, etc. The lights don't (can't) work correctly or safely if the wrong kind of light source is used. Lamps designed for filament bulbs _must_ use filament bulbs.

And since we're on the topic and some "bright spark" is sure to bring it up: "HID kits" in halogen-bulb headlamps or fog/auxiliary lamps (any kit, any lamp, any vehicle no matter whether it's a car, truck, motorcycle, etc.) do not work safely or effectively, which is why they are illegal. See http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html .

You can reduce the power consumption of your headlamps somewhat by installing Osram/Sylvania EcoBright or Philips EcoVision bulbs (9003 or H4, same fitment). These are a variant form of the bulb, designed to produce the appropriate amounts of light while drawing less power.

Yes, the always referenced Daniel Stern says "Don't do it."
But many people did on the Volt forum, me included. And they were a vast improvement over the stock halogen bulbs and still maintained a good low beam cutoff pattern.
The high beam power was awesome from only 35 watts each!
The Volt has a projector headlight assembly and a mechanically moved shutter creates the sharp cutoff low beam pattern. It then moves up to allow the full high beam pattern.

On the Spark EV the H13 bulb has two separate filaments in just slightly different positions with no reflector to create the low beam cutoff pattern. I have no idea how this works but it is a product of the headlight assembly's reflector that creates the low/high beam patterns.

I can't see anyway a single HID capsule is going to work properly in this headlight assembly.

I challenge anyone who is running HID or LED replacement lamps to post "garage door" pictures of their low/high beam patterns.

I posted a picture of my pattern with this brand of LED: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UMHCCSY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01

here: http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3632&start=10

I returned them immediately. I'm still searching of an LED replacement that will lower power consumption a little and put out way more lumens.

One question and two comments...

Why do you want the DRL off?

If you disable them, ask your insurance company about rates.
...you're likely getting a small discount (safety) for having them on!

If you're trying to eek out another mile or two of range, good luck.
...the best way to really increase range is through your driving habits.

qca_bktLmmyrOnaoPnqAdPWAtu10uM-7DlzX3wn43g=w1200-h665-no

The full power headlights are the DRL's on this car.

There is a thread about LED replacement headlight bulbs.
The H13 bulbs used in this car don't have a good subsitute LED bulb that puts out a good, safe pattern on Lo beams and Hi beams.
Look at the threads on this subject. There may be one good LED if it is twisted in its housing.

I'm afraid some users don't care what kind of pattern their LED's put out.....

I tried the LEDs recommended in the threads here, and they do not work worth a darn. The pattern you get is soft and fuzzy with no sharp cutoff, so you are dazzling oncoming drivers, and you would have to be deluded to think that they put out more light. I agree with D. Stern that they are a total waste of money.
Get the brightest version of Philips bulbs, without the blue paint, and that's the best you will get from the Spark, and they still won't be great. (They cost four times the cheaper ones on Amazon, but they do put out 2x the light.)
Sorry, but LED replacements just don't work well, since the reflector was not designed for them, and the lumens output is not as high as incandescent bulbs.

Agreed, and I'm getting tired of fried retinas from crappy aftermarket HID and LED lighting :shock:

In my opinion, there aren't any easy fixes for poorly designed headlights. Get the best halogen lamps for your car, consider quality fog and or driving lights.

Back