sport mode?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer

I have seen relatively little about sport mode. Can anyone explain what it does (either technically, or practically), how it affects range, if/when they use it, etc?

Homer said:
I have seen relatively little about sport mode. Can anyone explain what it does (either technically, or practically), how it affects range, if/when they use it, etc?

Its affect on vehicle behavior is almost negligible. It changes the accelerator pedal response curve ever so slightly, such that the initial torque applied relative to x% pedal application is more than when you're not on sport mode. Unless you're at 100%, then performance is identical. So, if you don't normally use 100% pedal application it would feel a bit more peppy. The rest of us just push the pedal down and turn the tires into dust until we've hit target speed, so "sport" mode doesn't have any performance effect.

I REALLY wish that I could fully disable the stability control while in sport mode, so the horrible stability control + crummy rear suspension wouldn't be fighting against each other all of the time.

Bryce

Nashco said:
I REALLY wish that I could fully disable the stability control while in sport mode, so the horrible stability control + crummy rear suspension wouldn't be fighting against each other all of the time.
Have you called Chevy's Spark/Volt hotline and asked about that? I like to think my numerous calls to them whining about the lack of color choices helped result in the red & green options for 2015s.

Nashco said:
Homer said:

Its affect on vehicle behavior is almost negligible. It changes the accelerator pedal response curve ever so slightly, such that the initial torque applied relative to x% pedal application is more than when you're not on sport mode. Unless you're at 100%, then performance is identical. So, if you don't normally use 100% pedal application it would feel a bit more peppy. The rest of us just push the pedal down and turn the tires into dust until we've hit target speed, so "sport" mode doesn't have any performance effect.

Bryce
Sometime I'm going to test this out on the track and get 1/4 mile times. It may be as you say, the sport mode makes little difference overall. It must be placebo, but I do find it much quicker off the line, but once it gets up to speed, it feels the same.

Nashco said:
Homer said:

Bryce

There are two modes to the traction control button and you can fully disable the stability control. One push and release of the Traction Control off button turns just the traction control off (traction off light on and traction control disabled message). If you press and hold the traction control button for about 5 seconds without releasing it, the traction control off light will illuminate first, then the Stabilitrak off light will illuminate after about 5 seconds, and then you'll get a message that says Stabilitrak disabled. Many people don't know about this, but it is in the owner's manual and I've done it several times.

WattEV said:
There are two modes to the traction control button and you can fully disable the stability control. One push and release of the Traction Control off button turns just the traction control off (traction off light on and traction control disabled message). If you press and hold the traction control button for about 5 seconds without releasing it, the traction control off light will illuminate first, then the Stabilitrak off light will illuminate after about 5 seconds, and then you'll get a message that says Stabilitrak disabled. Many people don't know about this, but it is in the owner's manual and I've done it several times.

This only applies if you're below 35 mph. Once you go above that speed stability control automatically turns on, while traction control remains off. Not very helpful for those with sporting intentions.

Bryce

Nashco said:
WattEV said:

This only applies if you're below 35 mph. Once you go above that speed stability control automatically turns on, while traction control remains off. Not very helpful for those with sporting intentions.

Bryce

Yes, true. I forgot about that detail. Oh well. :roll:

My sport button and my traction control button do absolutely nothing as if they are disconnected, no light on that says "sport" or anything at all. Any ideas or have the picture or manual to remove these switches and check them?

fox said:
My sport button and my traction control button do absolutely nothing as if they are disconnected, no light on that says "sport" or anything at all. Any ideas or have the picture or manual to remove these switches and check them?

When the car is on, pressing the sport button should cause "Sport mode" or something similar to appear near the speedometer. Pressing the traction control button should cause the "traction off light" to show up near the speedometer. If you don't see anything than you may want to take your car in for service.

Back