How to turn off trunk lights, with hatch ajar?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garrity

I would like to secure my Evse in the trunk while charging in public, the 12g extension cord used to run power to the Evse along with the Evse cord keep the hatch from closing enough to turn off the trunk light. The hatch can latch enough to lock, but not enough to turn off the light.

I can not find anything that depresses like a fridge door light switch, and it is not obvious how to remove the cover to the lightbulb itself.

Any suggestions on how to turn off the trunk light? With the hatch ajar?

If you lock the car, the lights will automatically go off after a bit. These lights are controlled by GM's body controller, and this is a feature which they use mostly to protect the 12V battery in case the door didn't get shut all the way or if an interior light was accidentally left on. Try it at home by leaving a door only partly closed so the light stays on, then lock the car and wait. After a bit, you'll see the interior light shuts off.

Bryce

Nashco said:
If you lock the car, the lights will automatically go off after a bit. These lights are controlled by GM's body controller, and this is a feature which they use mostly to protect the 12V battery in case the door didn't get shut all the way or if an interior light was accidentally left on. Try it at home by leaving a door only partly closed so the light stays on, then lock the car and wait. After a bit, you'll see the interior light shuts off.

Bryce

Will try it thanks!!! Much appreciated.

As for cracking the window, it's starting to rain now and I also didn't want to tempt anyone with taking the EVSE itself. I heard it's several hundred dollars to replace.

Some other convenient EVSE anti-theft ideas:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?15146-PREVENTING-CHARGER-THEFT

CableLock.jpg

connector-protector1.jpg

Bryce

After 5 minutes cabin lights went off but trunk light stayed on :(

The padlock to rim does work well.. just want the EVSE out of view.

Spark EV Owner's manual:
https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Ownership/Manuals_and_Videos/02_pdf/2015-spark-ev-owners-manual.pdf

Fuse section is 10-22 onwards. anyone know which fuse controls the trunk light or how to remove the bulb for the trunk light?

Found that you just have to pry the light cover off with a screw driver

Here are instructions for a Camaro but its the same thing for the Spark, watch out, that lightbulb is HOT!

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/GM-Chevrolet-Camaro-Trunk-Light-Bulb-Replacement-Guide/

Nashco said:
These lights are controlled by GM's body controller, and this is a feature which they use mostly to protect the 12V battery in case the door didn't get shut all the way or if an interior light was accidentally left on.

Bryce

Bryce is correct. I came home and saw that my wife's Spark Ev had the trunk wide open and the trunk light was off! I shut the hatch re opened and the light came on. I then put in the extension cord with it sticking out the back, shut the hatch and the light went off within 12 minutes time. Nice.

Back