Tire Pressure

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alcalira

On my first test drive the ride seemed pretty harsh, especially compared to the LEAF. Then I noticed all the tires were over 40 psi! Dropped them back to the recommended 35 and voila! Comfy ride! Still more taut and better controlled than the LEAF, but absorbing the bumps well.

I run mine at 45+ psi for maximum efficiency. From 35 to 50 psi, there's a significant change in rolling resistance (seen in vehicle efficiency and range), with the obvious downside of a more harsh ride. This has been covered well here and just about any other forum for efficient cars. Pick your poison! ;)

Bryce

Nashco said:
I run mine at 45+ psi for maximum efficiency. From 35 to 50 psi, there's a significant change in rolling resistance (seen in vehicle efficiency and range), with the obvious downside of a more harsh ride. This has been covered well here and just about any other forum for efficient cars. Pick your poison! ;)
Dumb question: Is this safe? I replaced the stock tires with the Yokohama S.drive tires, which list a max pressure of 51 PSI on the sidewall. Seems to me like tires inflated to 45 PSI when cold might hit 50 PSI when warm, which leaves very little margin. I'd love to get some of the range that I lost back, though...

The max pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire is the max cold pressure (at the load/weight listed next to it). You're totally fine running a tire at 45 psi if the sidewall lists 51 psi max. You will affect the ride and handling, but efficiency is almost always improved (effectiveness depends on the specific tire and load).

Bryce

Back