Chevy Spark EV Forum

It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New Electrify America stations
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:58 pm 

So, I see a bunch of Electrify America stations popping up in the near future in the Sac/Central Valley area of Cali. There are several things that are cool about that.

One, there is nothing currently on I5 from Sac until Tracy. On the 99 side, nothing from Galt to Salida.

Two, these stations seem to have 3-7 charging stations. That puts them close to Tesla charging centers in terms of available spots.

That being said, there are a couple things that I question about this.

One, how well will these be maintained. While Sac has several locations, most are single stations with a few double stations here and there. Sac has a lot of local EVs and many passing through from elsewhere. Yet, I rarely have run into issues of waiting. Level 2 chargers in the area always seem to be full, but I have had to wait or go to a different station maybe 3 times in 3 years. I’ve had the need to go to a different location due to the station being down way more frequently than that. If these don’t see that much traffic, will EA be that interested in maintaining them properly?

Two, are these stations indicative of new pricing that could be coming? At $1 connection + .30-.35 per minute, that is much higher than I pay for Greenlots (last session was 26 minutes and cost $4.33, would be a minimum $8.80 with EA) and EVGo (pay as you go, last session was 29 minutes @ $5.60, would be $9.70 minimum with EA). And there does not seem to be a subscription plan to bring that down. Are the other vendors subsidizing their costs that much that prices will rise, or does EA just not get how much cheaper charging is in most CA locations?

Post subject: Re: New Electrify America stations
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:20 am 

I've had one experience with an Electrify America charging station, and outside of the charging speed, I was less than impressed. Only 1 of the 4 stations was operable, and that took an hour of remote support to accomplish. A look at Plugshare posts reveals that what I experienced is not an anomaly.

It will be interesting to see how well their stations are maintained. I wasn't impressed with the quality of the connectors (it was a couple of months old, and they had paint chipping and felt sorta cheap). Being that EA exists only because of a mandate due to VW's criminal activity, my guess is it's truly a toss up whether they actually care how successful they are. Until I see impressive, long range, VW evs on the road, I'll be a skeptic.

Fast charging can be expensive, even with a Spark, compared to home charging, and current equivalent gas/diesel prices . We only have Greenlots and EVGo here in Charlotte, NC, and I avoid EVGo like the plague, unless I have no other choice (EVGo=35¢/min, charges you during initializing (40 seconds or ~23¢), and 100 amp max vs Greenlots=20¢/min, only starts charging you when you start receiving juice, and delivers 120 amps max). How Greenlots is able to charge half what EVGo/EA do, is a mystery to me as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:30 pm 

I am quite pleased with EVgo fast charging in Texas, which is good since they are currently the only provider. I am on an infrastructure island in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. If you have not checked out their current plan offerings, take a look. I am on a $10/month plan and only pay more than $10 if I actually do more than $10 of charging. Quite fair in my opinion.

I see some Electrify America stations coming to Texas that will be very enabling, though they will be a test of the Spark EV's range. I'm not exactly liking the idea of driving 55mph in a 75mph to make it to the next location.

So far the only Electrify America location I've paid much attention to is in Hope, AR. It appears to be doing very well, with a current 10 rating on PlugShare.

I especially look forward to using the Electrify America location in Bellmead, TX (north side of Waco) that will enable travel to Austin and San Antonio along the I35 corridor. I expect my first trip will involve a mix of 65-70mph freeway driving and 45-55mph service road driving to have enough range.

The Electrify America locations are expensive compared to EVgo, but they are also more capable infrastructure. Just as the Spark EV is at a disadvantage when it comes to Level 2 at only 3.3kW, with fast chargers that can exceed the Level 3 50kW capability of the Spark EV, other cars with faster Level 3 charging will get more value when cost for charing is by the minute, not the amount of energy delivered.

I do think it is fair to pay more per kW when it is delivered about 15x faster, especially when it may be only a 2x to 3x premium vs. at home.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:33 pm 

charles wrote:

Level 3 50kW capability of the Spark EV

The Spark EV is capable of accepting 55kw from an L3 charger.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:43 am 

TheLondonBroiler wrote:
The Spark EV is capable of accepting 55kw from an L3 charger.

Have you actually seen this on the car's display when powered up during an L3 charge session?

The most I ever see on the car is 48kW.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 am 

NORTON wrote:
Have you actually seen this on the car's display when powered up during an L3 charge session?

The most I ever see on the car is 48kW.

Torque Pro's instant power essentially mirrors the dash display (displaying to the tenth of a kilowatt). I saw 53kw for an instant (https://youtu.be/SSN8_uf64zM 10:25), and that was with a hot battery actively being cooled. I'd like to redo this now (in the winter), but unfortunately the closest >50kw charger is now "only" 178 miles from home.

EDIT: Good news, once the EA station in Commerce, GA opens, that one is 38 miles closer than EA station in Florence, SC...... (so it's still 140 miles).