didget69

Re: Electrify America Charging Station Problems

Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:33 pm

Stopped by the EA charge station here in Raleigh, NC this morning - found a number of the terminals to be down due to card reader issues, 3 would not connect to our 2015 Spark. Tried terminal 1, and it managed to connect & provided full charge. Spoke with EA Customer Service to let them know of inoperative terminals. Also downloaded EA app to my phone today.

Will check station this weekend to post which units (ABB, etc) are here.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/174534

BTW: I helped test the units during initial setup & we had issues with 3 of the terminals connecting to our Spark.

Bryan in NC

MrDRMorgan

Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:03 am

didget69 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:33 pm
Stopped by the EA charge station here in Raleigh, NC this morning - found a number of the terminals to be down due to card reader issues, 3 would not connect to our 2015 Spark. Tried terminal 1, and it managed to connect & provided full charge. Spoke with EA Customer Service to let them know of inoperative terminals. Also downloaded EA app to my phone today.

Will check station this weekend to post which units (ABB, etc) are here.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/174534

BTW: I helped test the units during initial setup & we had issues with 3 of the terminals connecting to our Spark.

Bryan in NC
Bryan, thanks for your post. I hope other Spark EV drivers will also post their charging experiences at EA locations. The photos of the chargers really help to identify the charger manufacturer too. The photos on PlugShare for the location you provided look to be BTCP chargers.

It is very important for Spark EV drivers to report to EA any charging problem(s) they encounter at EA charging locations. Perhaps EA should use the Spark EV as a charging test vehicle when qualifying new locations.

Every Friday I drive to Oakland, CA from my home in Manteca and my primary charging stop is at the San Francisco Premium Outlets in Livermore, CA. At this location are 10 EA ABB chargers. I have tried to charge and failed on every one of them and this has been reported to EA. I have also had a meeting at this location with EA and ABB reps to demonstrate my inability to charge. The ABB rep collected some data but I am still waiting for EA and ABB to develop and install a fix that will let me charge. When I call EA for an update, I just get "they are working on it". Fortunately, there are also three EVgo chargers at this same location and they always work just fine when they are not ICED.

I think you will like the EA APP but it does take a little work to figure out how it works.

ElDobro

Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:33 pm

MrDRMorgan wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:35 pm
ElDobro wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:00 pm
MrDRMorgan wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:01 am

Thanks for checking. As I mentioned, BTCP chargers work great for Spark EVs. There may be some problems with the credit card readers. I signed up for an EA account and use the EA APP on my phone to activate a charging session. So far, the APP has worked.
How exactly does the APP work?
I have the APP installed on my Android powered cell phone. When I get to the location at which I want to charge, I pull up to an open charger, plug in and note the charger ID number located at the top front section on the charger. Then I open the APP, find my charging location on the map and select that location. Then I select the charger using the number at the top of the charger. This will bring up a screen that says ACTIVATE (you may have to scroll down to get to it). On the screen I slide my finger left to right to activate the charging session. You will see the activation start on the charger's screen. When I have finished charging, I use the App again to end the session. During charging, the screen on my phone mimics the screen on the charger.

You can go to Electrify America's website for more information. Go to EV CHARGING, CHARGING WITH US and then scroll down to Step 2.

I hope this short explanation helps you.

I just found out that EVgo also has an APP that I can use to activate their chargers. I will have to give it a try. Up to now, I have been using my EVgo RFID card which works great!
I have the APP, just never had a chance to give it a try. Sounds straightforward, thanks a lot.

ElDobro

Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:53 pm

Ran across this article on Electrek.
https://electrek.co/2019/11/26/intervie ... -chargers/

ElDobro

Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:27 am

It's ben a month since last I checked and these are still not open. :roll:
https://www.plugshare.com/location/193079

MrDRMorgan

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:56 pm

ElDobro wrote:
I hate to burst your bubble but, these are ABB charging stations and, so far, I have not been able to charge my 2016 Spark EV at any ABB charger offered by Electrify America. But.... the Electrify America chargers manufactured by BTCPower work just fine for charging a Spark EV. I tested a new EA / BTCP location yesterday and both charging sessions worked perfectly.

ElDobro

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:47 pm

MrDRMorgan wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:56 pm
ElDobro wrote:
I hate to burst your bubble but, these are ABB charging stations and, so far, I have not been able to charge my 2016 Spark EV at any ABB charger offered by Electrify America. But.... the Electrify America chargers manufactured by BTCPower work just fine for charging a Spark EV. I tested a new EA / BTCP location yesterday and both charging sessions worked perfectly.
Yep and when they finally power them up, I can get hold of them and say, "Hi, I just tried out your new stations at the Super Walmart and they won't charge my car. What gives?'. ;)

MrDRMorgan

Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:21 am

The inability to charge at Electrify America stations populated with chargers manufactured by ABB should be a concern to all drivers of a Spark EV having the DCFC option. What can we do? Log onto Electrify America's website, and file a complaint. They want to hear from us, so...…. let's oblige them! It has been almost 6 months since I first posted about my inability to charge my Spark EV at EA / ABB stations and notified EA. Today, they still do not work! Fortunately, EA stations populated with chargers from BTCPower work just fine.

Return to “Batteries and Charging”