Bosch home charging station

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivefast

Chevrolet has a deal with Bosch electric vehicle solution (this is probably an unit of bosch, see http://www.pluginnow.com/) for $500 off the price of a home charging station. Which is pretty substantial, since a decent charging station is north of $700. Once i leased my spark, i called those guys and they were very helpful. Yet they asked me to fax them the $500 coupon that i got from the dealer. The dealer said they have no such coupons, and Chevrolet customer service didnt know how that deal is executed either. Anyone has any sort of experience on this particular deal?

Here's what I got from GM's Spark EV/Volt info representative:

Spark EV owners and lessees are eligible for up to a $500 discount toward the purchase of a 240V charger from Bosch Automotive Service Solutions, formerly SPX
–The credit is valid for up to 4 months after initial Spark EV purchase or lease
–The $500 240V charger discount ends on May 31, 2014. Therefore, delivery of a Spark EV and purchase of a 240V charger must occur prior to May 31, 2014 in order to receive the discount.
- The discount is eligible for 2014 Spark EV owners/lessees who are residents of CA or OR
–The credit is not redeemable for cash
Refunds will not be given to those who don’t need or choose not to use the credit
–The discount will be the lesser of the cost of the 240V charger including sales taxes and shipping or $500
–Spark EV owner/lessee must provide proof of purchase (title or registration) to Bosch
–Each Spark EV will eligible for one 240V discount
–The discount is to be applied to the purchase of a 240V charger and not any other accessories or installation fees.
Phone number: 1-877-805-3873. Website: http://www.pluginnow.com.

thank you. this is exactly what i was looking for. initially bosch asked me for a voucher, and this is where my confusion was coming from.

Yea I ordered a bosch 240v charger last week. It was only around $450 plus tax and shipping so it only cost me $12 i think. Cant wait to get it and install it. I will post up when i have it all done.

from bosch direct. Its their charger. They also sell the voltec one for about $590 but the only difference was a longer cord which i didnt feel i needed so i went with the cheaper one.

robpow13 said:
Yea I ordered a bosch 240v charger last week. It was only around $450 plus tax and shipping so it only cost me $12 i think. Cant wait to get it and install it. I will post up when i have it all done.

So since you didn't have Bosch install it, does that mean you only get 1 year warranty? Also, did you get the $500 discount?

I'm currently in the process with Bosch of getting one. I just had a Bosch approved electrician come to my house to evaluate my garage. I'm now waiting for Bosch to give me a quote. I'm going to try to get the 30A Bosch charger (I know that the Spark can't take full advantage of it but I'm thinking for my next EV). We'll see how long this whole thing takes and if it's worth it. I rarely take the battery below 50% so I can usually charge it overnight on 120V.

Correct I only get a one year warranty with it I used to be an electrician so no way i am going to pay someone to do it for me. Plus the installation price would be over $500 if i had someone do it. So even if i went through two chargers it would still be cheaper.

Hey guys, new to the site and just picked up our Spark EV on Sunday so just wondering if anyone else has received the $500 credit and installed their charger themselves. I plan to have a friend run the 220 box to the garage, but wondering if you need to confirm installation with Bosch with proof of permit and certified electrician?

no, you don't need to confirm the installation with Bosch - just tell them you have your own electrician. you still get the $500 discount on the order - the discount is for the hardware. obviously they will try to upsell you the installation, but they're not as pushy as timeshare people. they've been super-nice and helpful with me. congrats on the new car ;)

The only thing they ask for is the car's registration. I got a quote to have it installed in my garage. It was pretty outrageous (<$2400). I'll just purchase the unit and hire a less expensive electrician (which shouldn't be hard to do).

robpow13 said:

Can you tell me what the model number is of the one you bought? I already have a charger installed from the CEC program, but if it never hurts to have a backup. Thanks.

I ended up buying the slightly better model Power Max 30A with the 18ft cord for $593, so I could have the higher amps for future EV use and to know that I didn't buy the lowest model offered, since the voucher ended up paying for most of it anyway. After shipping, tax and fees, it cost me $172 and coming in the mail soon. I am headed to Home Depot tomorrow to get the materials to run the 240V 40A dedicated line to the garage with one of my electrician friends. Very affordable option for sure. When I ordered, they waited on the phone for me to fax the DMV registration form to them for confirmation.

robpow13 said:
Correct I only get a one year warranty with it I used to be an electrician so no way i am going to pay someone to do it for me. Plus the installation price would be over $500 if i had someone do it. So even if i went through two chargers it would still be cheaper.

How reliable are these things? Are people seeing them fail or will they last 3-5 years at least?

Hard to say regarding reliability since there isn't a ton of recorded history on them yet, but I've seen enough posts on the Volt forums that show a fair number of people have them die within 2 years.

Electricbowtie said:
Hard to say regarding reliability since there isn't a ton of recorded history on them yet, but I've seen enough posts on the Volt forums that show a fair number of people have them die within 2 years.
Got some links?

Which EVSEs are you referring to? For instance, it doesn't seem like the Bosch Power Maxes have been even out for 2 years.

Below are all from May 2013.
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2013/05/bosch-20130508.html
http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/11/bosch-introduces-affordable-home-ev-charger/
http://green.autoblog.com/2013/05/10/bosch-power-max-becomes-cheapest-level2-home-ev-charger-at-450/
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&p=290869

Some totally different units have been out for longer like http://www.pluginamerica.org/accessories/gm-voltec-evse.

And, as I posted on MNL:
An astute person on Teslamotorsclub pointed out this unit and Blink's newer EVSE look like rebadged Delta EVSEs (http://www.delta.com.tw/product/rd/evcs/evcs_product.asp).

I Bosch rep (IIRC) at CES and mentioned asked him if their Power Max EVSE they had out was made by Delta and he said yes.

Has anyone been able to get one of these through Bosch recently? I've been trying for three weeks, and just keep getting the run-around. Apparently the one person that did this in the past, "Mary" is no longer with them and there are two other people taking orders. But those two are so swamped, they don't have any time to take my calls. I've left messages and called at least six times in the last three weeks, each time being promised that someone will get back to me. No one ever does. I'll soon be past the four month period after the purchase of my spark and I fear that I will become ineligible soon. Anyone have any tips on how to get through to someone that can actually take my call and my order?

I just received an e-mail from Chevy that advertises the $500 discount and the info below. I'm not sure if everyone gets the same e-mail, but in case you didn't you may want to try these people (the missing links lead to the e-mail address below):
INTRODUCING YOUR SPARK EV ADVISOR TEAM: [email protected]

Now that you and your new Spark EV are home, it's time to connect to your dedicated Spark EV Advisor Team. These specially trained advisors can answer any questions you might have and help resolve any issue quickly. To get started, simply send an email by clicking here and enter your preferred contact information. Your advisor team will take it from there.
If Bosch can't help, maybe Chevy can get things moving since they are the ones shelling out the $500.

SparkMoore said:
Has anyone been able to get one of these through Bosch recently? I've been trying for three weeks, and just keep getting the run-around. Apparently the one person that did this in the past, "Mary" is no longer with them and there are two other people taking orders. But those two are so swamped, they don't have any time to take my calls. I've left messages and called at least six times in the last three weeks, each time being promised that someone will get back to me. No one ever does. I'll soon be past the four month period after the purchase of my spark and I fear that I will become ineligible soon. Anyone have any tips on how to get through to someone that can actually take my call and my order?

I kind of know what you are talking about, it's a mess out there, but

a. ask to speak with the supervisor the next time you call
b. you should have your "Bosch representative" name and ID# buy now? Communicate through the email from now on, this will give you a "papertrail" of what has transpired during this time.

Good luck

wutangmo15 said:
The only thing they ask for is the car's registration. I got a quote to have it installed in my garage. It was pretty outrageous (<$2400). I'll just purchase the unit and hire a less expensive electrician (which shouldn't be hard to do).

Why was it so expensive if I may ask? My electric panel is NOT in the garage and mine was very expensive to install since they had to lay a 55 foot cable from the garden to the garage. Was that your problem as well?

Back