Home Charging Stations, What Do You Guys Have??

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaunt2535

Hello!
I am 99% going to get a Spark EV :D . I wanted to know the people who have a Spark what charging station do you guys use? I've been doing some research and I don't know witch one to get, there are a lot of choices :eek: !
Thank you so much for your time.
p.s. a link would be nice.

[for California owners] hurry up and get one today and have your dealer apply for this free one:

http://evsolutions.avinc.com/products/cec

(on Tuesday 8/06 around 6 am, there were 149 chargers available; as of 3 pm on Wednesday 8/07 they're down to 91)

shaunt2535 said:
Hello!
I am 99% going to get a Spark EV :D . I wanted to know the people who have a Spark what charging station do you guys use? I've been doing some research and I don't know witch one to get, there are a lot of choices :eek: !
Thank you so much for your time.
p.s. a link would be nice.
I purchased a GE WattStation (prior to the $500 GM voucher) at Lowe's for $849:
http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/Dispatcher?REQUEST=PRODUCTS&famid=9404&id=WS-WallMount
So far it works great, no issues. I purposely wanted a plugin model so that it would be easier to swap out in the event it died, I move or I want to upgrade in the future.

I have the one bosch sells its not the voltec but the one that is a few bucks cheaper just has a shorter cord. Came out to around $450 without shipping or tax. I installed it the other weekend and works great.

I want to know what kind of a charger is it?
gambit said:
[for California owners] hurry up and get one today and have your dealer apply for this free one:

http://evsolutions.avinc.com/products/cec

(on Tuesday 8/06 around 6 am, there were 149 chargers available; as of 3 pm on Wednesday 8/07 they're down to 91)

@shaunt - RE: your question "I want to know what kind of a charger is it?"

I'm guessing that it is their brand (i.e. AeroVironment's product). However, for Californians, the equipment and installation are free (but you have to fill out a survey in six months) if you are quick enough to have your dealer reserve one of the free ones for you.

(as of 9 am on 8/08, there are 80 free chargers w/installation remaining)

that sucks. i didnt get the free installation, just a $500 voucher for the equipment. a decent installation (underground conduct between my house and my garage, with separate meter) will be at least $1000. i have a bosch 30apms with an 18ft cable.

Thank you guys soo much for your help. I'm getting my car tomorrow and I can't wait! I will post some pictures on the forum.

shaunt2535 said:
Thank you guys soo much for your help. I'm getting my car tomorrow and I can't wait! I will post some pictures on the forum.

You should just squeak under the wire for the free charger if you're in California. They'll certainly be all gone by Sunday.

gambit said:
@shaunt - RE: your question "I want to know what kind of a charger is it?"

I'm guessing that it is their brand (i.e. AeroVironment's product). However, for Californians, the equipment and installation are free (but you have to fill out a survey in six months) if you are quick enough to have your dealer reserve one of the free ones for you.

(as of 9 am on 8/08, there are 80 free chargers w/installation remaining)

Which site did you go to register for free installation/charger? Can you post the link please? :mrgreen:
I got the white L2 and so far I love it. My neighbor is now interested to lease one
Thanks

@shaunt2535

I posted the link on my initial reply to your OP, but there is now bad news:

1) you needed to have your DEALER apply for the free charger and installation on the day of your purchase or lease - you cannot do this afterwards.

2) the current quantities of AeroVironment chargers available is ZERO; their website has a counter which showed zero available sometime on Sunday.

3) AeroVironment will "restock" with some random and limited quantity on Tuesday, September 3rd (according to their website); but you are no longer eligible for this opportunity.

Sorry that you missed out. I timed my Spark deal to be on the first Tuesday of the month in order to take advantage of this opportunity. Luckily, there was a salesman at Selman Chevy in Orange that knew all about this program, had the bookmark to the AeroVironment website, and filled out the online application (this particular salesman is the top Chevy Volt salesman for this dealer and has helped many of his customers with the AeroVironment deal).

The $500 off the Bosch charger with no installation required, is still close to free as you can get, since the charger is only $593 for 30A 18ft cord. Mine is coming in the mail soon and will do the install myself.

Electricbowtie said:
The $500 off the Bosch charger with no installation required, is still close to free as you can get, since the charger is only $593 for 30A 18ft cord. Mine is coming in the mail soon and will do the install myself.

I placed an order yesterday for the Power Max 30 amp with an 18-foot cord from my Bosch adviser. With $500 discounted from its $593 retail price, I charged the difference ($93 plus tax and shipping) to my Amex card since doing so will double the one year warranty. I thought about using a Bosch certified electrician for the installation so I would have a three year warranty, but I've read complaints about the high cost they charge. Besides the installation should be relatively easy since I have an unused 220 outlet for a clothes dryer located on the same wall where the charger will be mounted. A friend of mine who's a home wiring guru went through the installation instructions as outlined on the plug-in website for the Power Max charger and said it should be easy to install. If it isn't, I know a highly rated local electrician who doesn't charge an arm and a leg. The only downside is that the 30 amp Power Max I ordered is one of Bosch's most popular chargers and was on a 4-to-5 week backorder as of yesterday. No matter. Using the charger that came with the car doesn't pose a problem until the new one arrives.

I'm looking at a Bosch PowerMax charger. Do we know what current the spark charges that at 240? Can the spark EV use both the 16 amp and 30 amp models? I'd read a couple of posts on the internet indicating that perhaps the spark would only chareger at the lower.

please note, I dictated this with my voice so forgive any errors

I have the PowerMax and it only charges our Volt and Spark EV at 16A. Having the 30A is just piece of mind that the EVSE has more ability than what I use it for and can charge faster on our future EV's.

Yes, the Spark EV, like the 2011-2012 LEAF and Chevy Volt, only uses 16 amps, regardless of the rating of the J1772 charging station above that number.

You may consider getting a bigger unit if you think you may get a "bigger car" in the future. Typically, 30 amps will handle most cars, however Tesla products like Model S, E, X and Toyota Rav4 EV, plus Mercedes B-Class ED can handle 40 amps.

All the Tesla Roadsters can handle 70 amps and the Tesla products with "twin chargers" can take 80 amps.

80 amps is the maximum value (currently) for J1772. It was previously 30 amps, but Tesla petitioned to raise it.

Back