List of known SAE combo plug quick charge stations

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psykokid

Perhaps we should get a list of all currently known SAE combo chargers (whether they are currently functional or not) Might be a good idea to help each other out.

I called and spoke with a woman in Charge Point's sales office, yesterday. She informed me that Charge Point has no plans to support CCS.

Come to think of it, do they even support CHAdeMO?

Plugshare has stated (to multiple individuals) that they are planning to add a SAE DC Combo indicator/filter very soon. In my opinion, Plugshare is by far the best (phone) app for locating, reviewing, and interfacing with charging stations, so I was glad to hear it. The more people make the request, the more likely they are to prioritize adding this to their software...so send them an email!

Bryce

Hi Bryce. I already contacted PlugShare.

My point was that I don't see wide and rapid adoption of CCS if the largest provider of charging services, Charge Point, is not going to support it.

NomadMac said:

My point was that I don't see wide and rapid adoption of CCS if the largest provider of charging services, Charge Point, is not going to support it.

Are you talking about actual charging stations (hardware) or charging station locator (software)? I only mentioned plugshare because once their DC Combo filters go live then we will all be able to add them to their list very easily (duplicating the information in this thread). I haven't used the ChargePoint app for months, but last time I tried using it I wasn't impressed at all.

Bryce

NomadMac said:
I meant the charging stations.
Does ChargePoint have any DC chargers...? None of the DC chargers I've used in WA or OR were ChargePoint and we haven't let that slow us down!

Bryce

NomadMac said:

Of all the DC quick charge stations nation wide, 9 of them are on the charge point network. From what it looks like they never really invested in the quick charge technology, period. So far they have just piggybacked on top of someone else's station and added their authorization/payment system.

Anyhow, that is another topic of discussion and not why I started this thread. If you'd like to start a new thread discussing Chargepoint's apparent lack of support for DC quick charging, by all means go for it.

Bloomingdale's - Fashion Valley Mall in San Diego
Starbucks - Quail Hill Shopping Center in Irvine
Chik-Fil-A - Woodbury Town Center in Irvine
Volkswagen of America in Belmont

psykokid said:
Of all the DC quick charge stations nation wide, 9 of them are on the charge point network. From what it looks like they never really invested in the quick charge technology, period. So far they have just piggybacked on top of someone else's station and added their authorization/payment system.
Chargepoint doesn't sell nor make any DC FCs as far as I know. I don't believe they own any of the EVSEs (charging stations) installed publicly or privately either, other than maybe the ones outside their HQ (which is near my work).

As for piggybacking on top of someone else's station, that's right. The Nissan/Sumitomo CHAdeMO DC FCs at Premier Nissan in San Jose, CA (https://www.facebook.com/groups/BayLeafs/permalink/604308489626816/) and Nissan Sunnyvale (http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/1385) both had Chargepoint authorization equipment added semi-recently.

I've used Premier Nissan's CHAdeMO DC FC once, well before they added that Chargepoint equipment. Back then, one of several dealers employees had to come out w/the fob to start a session. I'd visited Nissan Sunnyvale over 6 months ago, after their CHAdeMO DC FC was installed but the handle was zip tied. I guess it wasn't quite operational yet.

Just an update to say that PlugShare now has "SAE Combo" filters available for the website and for the iOS app. The iOS app update just launched today and I tested the SAE combo filter, which worked as expected. The app also shows a couple more SAE Combo stations in Arizona that aren't on the list above, but since they're not confirmed working I won't add them to this running list here.

For those just getting into EV adventuring, I STRONGLY encourage you to use PlugShare. It's a great way to use crowd-sourced information to help us all out and it's really easy to use. I know it's saved my bacon more than once trying to confirm if a DC charger is working or not when they're new and experiencing teething issues!

Bryce

cwerdna said:
psykokid said:
Chargepoint doesn't sell nor make any DC FCs as far as I know. I don't believe they own any of the EVSEs (charging stations) installed publicly or privately either, other than maybe the ones outside their HQ (which is near my work).

As for piggybacking on top of someone else's station, that's right. The Nissan/Sumitomo CHAdeMO DC FCs at Premier Nissan in San Jose, CA (https://www.facebook.com/groups/BayLeafs/permalink/604308489626816/) and Nissan Sunnyvale (http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/1385) both had Chargepoint authorization equipment added semi-recently.

I've used Premier Nissan's CHAdeMO DC FC once, well before they added that Chargepoint equipment. Back then, one of several dealers employees had to come out w/the fob to start a session. I'd visited Nissan Sunnyvale over 6 months ago, after their CHAdeMO DC FC was installed but the handle was zip tied. I guess it wasn't quite operational yet.
Re: Chargepoint, I think http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15867&hilit=chargepoint is likely why we're seeing that be piggybacked onto Nissan CHAdeMO DC FCs.

I used Premier Nissan's CHAdeMO DC FC recently (my 2nd time EVER using my CHAdeMO port) and this time it was after the Chargepoint equipment was added. No more employee fob needed to start it, just my Chargepoint card. My experience was sub-optimal again (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=354352#p354352 and http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=354437#p354437).

The above (singular) DC FC and the (singular) one at their sister dealer in Fremont were down for weeks and just recently got fixed.

According to the Sacramento EV association, the new SAE combo quick charger at the SMUD building on 6th off of hwy 50 (see plug share map) is up and running as of 3-14-14. It is a Semacharge station and costs $.20 a kWh.

jay5729 said:
According to the Sacramento EV association, the new SAE combo quick charger at the SMUD building on 6th off of hwy 50 (see plug share map) is up and running as of 3-14-14. It is a Semacharge station and costs $.20 a kWh.

It is illegal for a California Public Utility to offer this.

jay5729 said:
Do you have a link for this? I couldn't find anything on their website, and only a normal J1772 is listed there on Plugshare.

gra said:
Do you have a link for this? I couldn't find anything on their website, and only a normal J1772 is listed there on Plugshare.
It was posted on their fb page. The web site is a little out of date, but there was a saceva meeting on the 13th at the location.

TonyWilliams said:
jay5729 said:

Guess it's a good thing that SMUD isn't a public utility company then.

jay5729 said:
TonyWilliams said:
jay5729 said:

Guess it's a good thing that SMUD isn't a public utility company then.
Presumably MOUs and Co-Ops are exempt, whereas IOUs aren't. Either that, or they are okay because they're contracting with SemaCharge to operate the system, and they're just providing/paying for the locations and installs. Since they've been publicly working on this for at least a year, someone would have said something earlier if there was a problem.

gra said:
Presumably MOUs and Co-Ops are exempt, whereas IOUs aren't. Either that, or they are okay because they're contracting with SemaCharge to operate the system, and they're just providing/paying for the locations and installs. since they've been publicly working on this for at least a year, someone would have said something earlier if there was a problem.
The problem actually relates to what defines an electrical meter. Electrical meters like those attached to commercial building and homes are regulated by state and local authorities. Utilities charging you for a metered amount of electricity is exactly what is regulated.

Utilities providing the public free electricity is just their choice. Commercial businesses charging you for electricity is also no doubt regulated but very differently from a utility company. Read about the Trolley-Car Conspiracy if you want to learn about how Anti-Trust Laws prevent utilities from vertically integrating in support of increased electrical usage. It's actually very interesting.

Saceva updated their post that the opening of the SAE combo station at SMUD on 6th is postponed because of "legal reasons".

jay5729 said:
Saceva updated their post that the opening of the SAE combo station at SMUD on 6th is postponed because of "legal reasons".
Ok . once again saceva Facebook page says that the legal issues have been worked out and the quick charger is now open.

Back