eVgo SAE Combo time period beginning?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaconzies

Hey all,
I know there have been various posts that have discussed NRG's settlement and obligation to install 100+ fast chargers (Chademo first, SAE later) in the LA area.
There was also mention of the 6 month timeline that would require eVgo to add SAE stations to the existing Chademo and build new ones with SAE stations but up until now it was my understanding that the timeline did not begin yet.

I recently received this email that states: "NRG eVgo is making major progress in California! As of today, we have 55 fast-charging sites throughout the state. That's 39 Freedom Station® sites and 16 dealership fast chargers in the San Francisco Bay area, Sacramento, San Diego County and the Los Angeles Basin. Freedom Station sites are designed to support current and future charging technology. Each Freedom Station has CHAdeMO chargers and we have now begun to add SAE Combo charging. But no matter what electric car you drive, every Freedom Station can serve you today, since each also has a Level 2 charger.

55+Fast+Chargers+in+California+-+michaeljameschacon%2540gmail.com+-+Gmail.jpg

I know that 2 vehicles (Spark EV and BMW i3) and that there are two existing eVgo SAE stations Hermosa Beach and San Digeo (via Plugshare)

Could this mean that their timeline to add SAE stations to existing and build new ones has begun?

http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6817#p6817
http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7523#p7523
http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7546#p7546

If you had bothered to look at the posts you pasted you'll see that I've already read and posted on those topics. What I'm posting is new information that causes me to believe that they are beginning their 6 month period.

I could only hope that the six month time frame has begun. However, to my knowledge they have not yet modifed any stations to add SAE, so this time frame may continue to be put on hold until there is a second UL listed SAE combo charger.

I asked about this via twitter just the other day. Here's the twitter thread:

NRG eVgo ‏@nrgevgo Jun 17
#EV 101: Did you know you can get a DC #fastcharge in 30 minutes or less? Find a charging plan http://hub.am/1lvW6vy pic.twitter.com/5CMJMkv0qx

CJ ‏@turbosocal Jun 21
@nrgevgo Problem is currently that there is no way to know where DC quick-charge SAE Combo plugs are located. None @ Shops at Mission Viejo

NRG eVgo ‏@nrgevgo Jun 23
@turbosocal Hi CJ. Great news: we'll be deploying SAE Combo chargers in all CA Freedom Station sites! Rollout starts in the fall.

CJ ‏@turbosocal Jun 23
@nrgevgo Awesome. In the mean time, are there any SAE combo plugs at any of the SoCal stations? What's rollout timetable?

NRG eVgo
‏@nrgevgo
@turbosocal Hi CJ. We currently don't have any SAE Combo chargers in SoCal. The roll out starts this fall. Stay tuned for announcements.

^^^
Quite funny, given that there is one in San Diego, per http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7546#p7546. Tony was there for the grand opening.

cwerdna said:
^^^
Quite funny, given that there is one in San Diego, per http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7546#p7546. Tony was there for the grand opening.

Here I am... grand opening of the first NRG / eVgo CCS Combo1 station:

null_zps87b82131.jpg

TurboSoCal said:
NRG eVgo ‏@nrgevgo Jun 23
@turbosocal Hi CJ. Great news: we'll be deploying SAE Combo chargers in all CA Freedom Station sites! Rollout starts in the fall.

CJ ‏@turbosocal Jun 23
@nrgevgo Awesome. In the mean time, are there any SAE combo plugs at any of the SoCal stations? What's rollout timetable?

NRG eVgo
‏@nrgevgo
@turbosocal Hi CJ. We currently don't have any SAE Combo chargers in SoCal. The roll out starts this fall. Stay tuned for announcements.

Woohoo! I wonder where the first few will be. :cool:

I just spoke the the NRG booth at the national electric drive event in Huntington Beach. They told me at least 50 more stations by the end of the year. I don't know how realistic that is, but they seemed confident.

Chaconzies said:
I just spoke the the NRG booth at the national electric drive event in Huntington Beach. They told me at least 50 more stations by the end of the year. I don't know how realistic that is, but they seemed confident.
Wow, that would be impressive if they pulled off even half of that figure by years end. What I'd really like to see is for them to start filling out in the middle of the state, along the I 5, so that through state travel would be possible with an mid-range EV.

Are they still subscription only?
What a goofy business model.
I've never seen anyone using the chargers at Northgate Mall in San Rafael.

I spoke to the rep at the San Diego electric drive event, and he said....

They have a free "flex" plan that has no monthly fee, but a $4.95 per session fee, and then $0.20 a minute for Fast DC charging. So, for a 30 minute DC session, it would be $10.95, but he then said it was capped at a $9.95 maximum cost. But I can't find that on their web site.

Plus, they have (according to the rep) DC Combo chargers at Fashion Valley in San Diego, and Carlsbad Premium Outlets in Carlsbad.

Scott

xylhim said:
What I'd really like to see is for them to start filling out in the middle of the state, along the I 5, so that through state travel would be possible with an mid-range EV.

Their state agreement has the four areas that they will install them, and how many. Making logical interstate travel wasn't in the planning.

TonyWilliams said:
xylhim said:
What I'd really like to see is for them to start filling out in the middle of the state, along the I 5, so that through state travel would be possible with an mid-range EV.

Their state agreement has the four areas that they will install them, and how many. Making logical interstate travel wasn't in the planning.
Tony per the map you provided the San Joaquin Valley is supposed to get 15, so while I'd expect the majority along 99 some may be on I-5: http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3643

Now that NRG/eVgo has started deploying its ABB SAE Combo / CHAdeMO Terra 53 Fast Chargers, has anyone been able to reliably charge a Spark EV using one (specifically the Terra 53). Plugshare shows several comments about it working with the BMW i3, but I have not been able to find anyone indicating they work reliably with the Spark EV. A few comments indicate some Spark EV drivers were able to get it to work after fiddling with it for 20 - 30 minutes.

I pester NRG every few weeks, but they don't respond to emails and the people reachable by telephone don't have access to any useful information. Please post your experience with the Spark EV using the Terra 53, both successful and unsuccessful.

I tried using the one in Thousand Oaks, CA over a month ago and was not able to get it to work. It seemed to work OK with the i3 at that time, but not the Spark EV.

Back