Problems with my GM charge cord

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiminoregon

I have a 2014 Spark EV. It has been a pleasure to drive. I have occasional problems with the charge cord but they have resolved after re-connecting everything a few times.

This is different. I charged my car today at work with no problem. I returned home and tried to plug in. My portable charge cord unit has a steady green/flashing red combination indicating a fault.

There is no brown-out in the area. I tried several outlets all with the same result.

The car will not charge under these conditions, and I cannot get to the dealer sooner then six days from now. Even then, I am not sure what they will be able to do, except for ordering another charge cord. [ I am on cord #2 - #1 had a broken ground plug at the early age of ten months]. These units are pricy - about $500. With no moving parts, these should not be so expensive nor quirky.

I have tried the various "unplug - reset breaker - check connections" ideas on the threads here. Nada. Doodly. Zippo.

If you have any useful advice, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

P.S. I just worked a 16 hour day, so this was not the way I wanted to finish my day.

Sounds like you're about to get Charge Cord #3.

There are better quality EVSEs out there for about the same price, so once they are out of warranty, don't go back to the dealer for another. Or just plan on it wearing out, and buy yourself a backup. My favorite is the turbocord dual (120-240 dual voltage) unit.

I have two Voltec 120's sitting in my garage idle, because I installed a Voltec 240 volt unit for the Chevy Volt, and built the JuiceBox kit for the Spark. Both those units are working well.

No, I don't have it. The dealership wanted it when they gave me a new one. I'm still on warranty, so I will be saying goodbye to this one as well.

I just ordered a PCS-15 as a backup from Clipper Creek.

Back