more beef upstream

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pawl

Posed this question to Bosch but have not heard back yet. I'll bet someone here can edify me.

I've received the Bosch Power Max 16 and would like to install a beefier receptacle (14-50P [RV outlet]), wiring, and breaker (50 A instead of 20) than is called for, upstream between the Bosch and the panel. This will make an easier upgrade to a more powerful ev in the future without a need to rewire. The Power Max 16 calls for a 20 A breaker. I don't understand, do evse's like this one have no problems downshifting a [higher] delivered current (as a downsized pipe simply reduces the flow, correct?). It's clear by this case that I haven't truly absorbed (no pun intended) the water/electricity analogy.

As a side note, the Bosch will be about 50+ feet from my electrical panel.

Oh, yea, and what of the neutral wire? The Bosch doesn't use a 4th wire.

BTW, I'm not installing this myself; I just want to be versed in it—couple of electricians came this morning to confirm panel is fine and consider the layout/project.

Thanks in advance!

The breaker just allows up to that amount to be drawn before tripping. (Actually according to code up to 80% of the breaker limit is allowed to be drawn continuously.) It's perfectly fine to oversize a breaker so long as the wiring is able to handle that much current.

The netural wire is indeed not needed. (That's for things like dryers that need 120V for the motor but 240V for the heating elements.) Just tie it to ground or cap it off.

Thanks a bunch, Pegasus. Your description helps to understand things a bit more.

Just make sure you size the breaker accordingly to this unit. I would not recommend installing a 50A breaker for a 20A unit.

Thanks. Like I say, I'd like to have some understanding of it as I move ahead with an electrician (who should know all of this).

What I've now decided to order is a Jukebox Pro.

http://www.emotorwerks.com/products/online-store/product/show/202-juicebox-pro-40

The current that flows in an electrical circuit is a result of the voltage applied to the load. Since using a larger circuit breaker does not change the voltage or the impedance of your EVSE the amount of current that flows will not change.

Voltage causes electricity to flow, impedance resists the flow more or less, and current is the result, see Ohm's law.

Dwood said:
Just make sure you size the breaker accordingly to this unit. I would not recommend installing a 50A breaker for a 20A unit.
Oh yes, that's right. The 30A Bosch unit expects to have a 40A breaker to protect it. There are fuses inside too but it's easier to flip a switch than replace a fuse.

So I would run wire that can carry 50A (or however much you like..80A for a future Tesla? ;) ) but size the breaker appropriate for what it's protecting. You can always swap out the breaker easily in the future (up to what the wire can handle) if you want more in the future.

Back