I don't have the capability for DC fast charging?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkup

Paid for a membership through eVgo and went to go use one of their stations. Plug looks the same but has male two prongs on the bottom portion. My inlet on the car that space is covered and will not accept the plug. Is this something I can add on or did I have to purchase a certain ev model with this capability?

:cry:

You cannot add as option. When I purchase my spark EV the option was not available. You have to order with build of car

mickeybiosense said:
You cannot add as option. When I purchase my spark EV the option was not available. You have to order with build of car

I was afraid of that. My dealer I worked with made it sound like it was an available option I could add on later. Damn it. Thanks for the info mickey.

This is what your port looks like :
2014-Chevrolet-Spark-EV-Charging-Port-550x366.jpg

And here is what a spark ev that has the fast charging option installed looks like
charging-blog480.jpg

On the window sticker it should have clearly stated whether the option was installed. It is an additional $750 dollars
An example window sticker can be seen here http://www.georgechevy.com/f_WindowSticker?VIN=KL8CL6S04FC732636

When the Spark first came out there was some confusion as to whether the option could be added in after. Some car salesmen were honest and said they didn't know, others stated that it could be added on after, in the end, though, Chevy has stated that it must be factory installed.
Your dealer and sales team SHOULD have known that and should have been able to communicate to you which model you had and what the future implications were.

If your sales person told you that you could add it on after, then you might have a case to dispute and could possibly return the car for another that has the option or at least lower your payments. If not, well then you will have to deal with normal level 2 charging and it'll be a learning experience.

Just for the OP's info, they might want to read at least the first page of this thread: http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3643

I contacted my dealer the day after I purchased when I was at a charging station. Telling him I needed to have the fast-charging capability. He said that the parts department was closed (friday) and that he was with a customer.

This indicates to me that he thinks this 'fast charging' can be added on later like it was a set of rims or something. I emailed him to make this right and will be calling him again later today. I hope it's painless.

This hasn't been pretty. But the result was the dealer saying that they've already applied for an incentive and they can't do anything for me.

I'm going in person tomorrow with a timeline of events and talk to the manager etc to see what happens. Doesn't help this dealership is 1.5 hours away from me.

:oops:

I doubt you can do much based on what the salesperson told you. I would press for maybe a lower price, or maybe some free accessories, but don't get your hope up too much.

Although is a nice feature to have, I don't believe most people will use it. It is more expensive to use, and most of us got this car just to go around town. So we are always close by a charging station at home, or some Level 2 charger to charge a little if available.

KingUltra said:
I doubt you can do much based on what the salesperson told you. I would press for maybe a lower price, or maybe some free accessories, but don't get your hope up too much.

Although is a nice feature to have, I don't believe most people will use it. It is more expensive to use, and most of us got this car just to go around town. So we are always close by a charging station at home, or some Level 2 charger to charge a little if available.

Thanks. This whole ordeal has left me with a sour taste in my mouth. I'm beginning to think making a trip out there will be fruitless. I just emailed the dealer asking for what you mentioned.

Since I live in a gated community with no garage, fast charging would be convenient for me. I been trying to find an electrician for a quote, but I doubt it'll be cheap.

There is a fast charging unit 3 miles away from my home. With a monthly subscription of $15 I could fast charge for .10 a minute.

sparkup said:
Since I live in a gated community with no garage, fast charging would be convenient for me. I been trying to find an electrician for a quote, but I doubt it'll be cheap.
There is a fast charging unit 3 miles away from my home. With a monthly subscription of $15 I could fast charge for .10 a minute.

10 cts a minute is cheap for Fast Charging. Even Level 2 charging cost around 50 cts a Kwh ( Which company owns that charging station? )
Where do you park at home? in a separate parking area for all the units? I installed my Bosch charger in front of the house.

64AkZtK.jpg

AdK9J2L.jpg

KingUltra said:
sparkup said:

10 cts a minute is cheap for Fast Charging. Even Level 2 charging cost around 50 cts a Kwh ( Which company owns that charging station? )
Where do you park at home? in a separate parking area for all the units? I installed my Bosch charger in front of the house.

64AkZtK.jpg

AdK9J2L.jpg

NRG eVgo. I park in a carport specific to my condo unit. I live on the second story. My carport is about 100 feet away.

If I'm lucky, I can find a spot that is closest to my patio to which I run an extension cord and charge via 120v. I wake up at 6am just so I can unplug so no one complains.

I also ride a motorcycle most the time so charging to ensure I have enough energy for the next day isn't the biggest deal. But it's convenient.

KingUltra said:
sparkup said:

I think the OP's talking about these:
http://www.nrgevgo.com/san-francisco-bay-area/
http://www.nrgevgo.com/los-angeles-basin/

50 cents/kWh is a fricking ripoff. Sounds like Blink rates.

Besides some free L2 stations, some places have Chargepoint stations that are $1/hr (which is great for vehicles that have 6+ kW on-board chargers). Except for those at Chargepoint's HQ in Campbell, CA, probably all if not 99+% of Chargepoint stations aren't owned by Chargepoint itself.

In the above case, if the supply voltage is 240 volts, I can pickup 6.6 kWh in 1 hour on my Leaf. If it's only 208 volts (common commercial power), I can pickup 5.8 to 6.0 kWh in 1 hour on my Leaf.

There is a lesson to be learned here. If it ain't in writing, it ain't.

I'm not knocking car salespeople but: some of them do have selective memory starting right after you drive off the lot, and some purchasers hear what they want to here rather than what was said. Writing removes all doubts.

There have been cases where buyers got the dealership to take the car back owing to misrepresentation on their part re QC. Search for posts dating from 2013 or early 2014 re. quick charging. [Edit]: http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3408

10 cents a minute? that is really good! The SMUD quick charge station in Sacramento is a $.35 per charge fee plus $.22 a kWh. The local power company charges 10 cents per kWh during off peak hours and 14 cents during peak hours. If you let SMUD install a meter on your charging station they discount the electricity to 10 cents all the time. Sacramento has a great utility program.

My most recent prior post erroneously contained a generic search link, rather than the one below, which contains an account of an owner taking his car back to the dealership and having them undo the deal owing to the lack of QC and inability to retrofit it. I've corrected the prior post, but to make sure the link isn't missed am also posting it here for the OP's info: http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3408

Back