Super Charging questions

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CleanG

When you charge from a DC fast charger, and it slows at 80% (giving you around 65 miles range), I understand it then slows down the charging to a Level 2 charge rate (if this is incorrect please let me know). So do you folks then go to a Level 2 charger to finish off to get a full tank? And it doesn't matter how full your tank is when you get to the DC charger, the DC charger will only give you ~65 miles before it slows down the charging? So even if I had 50 miles left when I hit the DC, it will only give me another 15 or so before it starts slowing down?

Also please correct me if the following calculations are incorrect:

Level 1 charging - 4 miles per hour
Level 2 charging - 12 miles per hour

Thanks for answering newbie questions as I don't have a Spark EV just yet and I'm trying to figure out how to make it work without the ability to charge at home (though I have Level 1 charging at work - yeah, an outlet lol)!

:D

When the DCFC slows down, it is STILL charging. Why would you switch to a L2 charger that does the same thing?

I think the rate slows to protect the battery. Battery chemistry can be damaged by charging too fast when it has nearly a full charge. At least that is the way I understand it.

I think L2 charging is more like 10 miles per hour.

SteveC5088 said:
When the DCFC slows down, it is STILL charging. Why would you switch to a L2 charger that does the same thing?

Just to be courteous to anyone waiting behind me for a quick charge! :)
So I have all the other data correct?

DC charging the Spark results in faster than Level 2 (3.3 kW for the Spark EV) until you're at above 99% state of charge. From 80% to 100% takes about 10-15 minutes depending on temperatures.

The Spark EV doesn't tapers he charge at high SOC anywhere near as bad as other cars I've driven, especially the Leaf and i3. I'm speaking to my experience with my 2014, I can't speak to the 2015 as I haven't fast charged one yet.

Bryce

Nashco said:
DC charging the Spark results in faster than Level 2 (3.3 kW for the Spark EV) until you're at above 99% state of charge. From 80% to 100% takes about 10-15 minutes depending on temperatures.

The Spark EV doesn't tapers he charge at high SOC anywhere near as bad as other cars I've driven, especially the Leaf and i3. I'm speaking to my experience with my 2014, I can't speak to the 2015 as I haven't fast charged one yet.

Bryce

Taper as in slow down the charge as it reaches full?

Nashco said:

Bryce

Thanks for the info, this is kind of what people who haven't jumped in yet need to know. Now I'm hoping someone with a 2015 will chime in to confirm about how badly it tapers off as we all know that the new model uses the LG batteries instead of the A123. Also, do my other data numbers look correct?

The NRG eVgo stations charge by the minute so you don't want to let your Spark EV continue charging if the charge rate has slowed down.

I'm content with over-night charging my Spark EV and using a commercial NRG eVgo type DC fast charger for the rare occasions where I need a much faster charge due to expecting to exceed the range of my Spark.

It would be best to change your thread title and avoid referencing "Super Charging" or "Supercharging" when talking about DC fast charging a Spark EV as the Spark EV isn't compatible with http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger. The only vehicles that can use http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger are the Model S w/Supercharger access (was optional).

Please see http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3643 for more info. In the US, there are 3 plug incompatible DC FC standards: http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger, http://www.chademo.com/ and the Combo1 version (aka J1772 CCS) of SAE Combo/CCS. The Spark EV (when equipped w/the inlet) is only compatible w/the last one.

CleanG said:
Nashco said:

Bryce

Thanks for the info, this is kind of what people who haven't jumped in yet need to know. Now I'm hoping someone with a 2015 will chime in to confirm about how badly it tapers off as we all know that the new model uses the LG batteries instead of the A123. Also, do my other data numbers look correct?

I use DCFC on 2015 Spark EV at least 2 times a week. From xx to 80% of SOC, the displayed current on the dashboard shows "HIGH". After the SOC exceed 80%, the display shows "MEDIUM" and at around 95% SOC, the display shows "LOW". Check SOC WITH Onstar MyLink app. EVSE uses ABB setup.

JC

Your assumptions are mostly correct.

While the SAE-CCS-Combo1 DC charger will slow down somewhere between 50-80% (typical for most EV's), there is a problem for the Spark EV.

With the 3.3kW charge rate of the Spark EV while using virtually any J1772 / L2 (typical public charge station), I suspect that it will be faster to charge on DC until well over 90% full.

Back