Tesla Lite !!

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NORTON

I used a DCFC for the first time while running errands this weekend. My town has 14 DCFC stations and dozens of L2's, all FREE !
Here are some pics of the 20 minute pitstop !

Begin:

Thirsty Spark EV @ 44kW:

<continued>

20 minutes later:

Same price as a Tesla at a Supercharger, only less quantity:

This was at that big coffee purveyor, so I went in and bought a simple coffee, to be polite, and stared at my phone for awhile.

During the week I plug into an L2 at work to power the round trip. It is done by noon and I move it.
I may never spend a dime on powering this fun little car!
This is Living the Dream, Lite !!

I know about the Battery TMS and how it should be plugged in at <30° and >90° F.
But is it that harmful to drive the car gently until the cars TMS gets the battery temp happy?
There will always be long term parking situations where the car can't be plugged in, such as an airport.

nikwax said:
Wow, where do you live? We're very short of SAE DCFCs in Portland.

Kansas City. The second coolest city after Portland !! Well, maybe tied with Austin...

nik, You should talk to your Mayor. He seems like a nice fellow!!

When I found out about the DCFC network I knew a Spark EV w/DCFC was the car for me.
I can make an airport run by the numbers, but with a 10-15 minute DCFC up near the airport, I can make it worry free any time of year.
It can also take me to Larryville and back for biking, music, good food and beer. There are free L2's but no DCFC there, yet...

Norton said:
is it that harmful to drive the car gently until the cars TMS gets the battery temp happy?

Does it increase degradation? Probably

By how much? Probably not much. GM would have likely programmed this into the vehicle otherwise.

Over and under certain battery temperatures, charging speed can be reduced (energy into the battery), but is performance (energy out) ever reduced outside acceptable temps? Is putting energy into the battery at a certain power level equally harmful as pulling the same level of energy out?

Only certain battery experts probably know, and it probably varies from chemistry to chemistry.

Back