Which Plug for DCFC?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDRMorgan

Here is one of my many ignorant "newbie" questions - Which DCFC station plug works for the Spark EV? It looks to me like it is the SAE Combo DCFC and the others will not work. Am I correct? I am looking for locations in Central California that have the correct plug for "Sparkie".

You are corrected, the SAE Combo DCFC is the correct plug. Alternatively it is known as CCS (Combined Charging System) here.

Thanks for the confirmation.

I have read a number of posts from Spark EV owners who have experienced problems with NRG evGo charging stations. Unfortunately, NRG is about my only option here in the Central Valley of California so I am going to have to test each one to make sure it works. The nearest one is 15 miles from my home. 2 more are about 50 miles from my home. I have a destination to which I would like to drive that is about 65 miles from my home and I need to find at least one charger at 50 miles out that works.

MrDRMorgan said:
... I have read a number of posts from Spark EV owners who have experienced problems with NRG evGo charging stations. ...

After several failed DC charging attempts with no successes, and much nagging of both NRG and Chevrolet; Chevrolet shaved some of the plastic off the connector on the car. There is a service bulletin on the issue, but I forget the number. In any case, after having that done, I have successfully charged about 10 times without any failures using 5 different DC chargers, 3 of which are NRG combo chargers (ABB), a BMW and a Greenlots Combo (non ABB).

Chocula-

Thanks for the very helpful information. Today I located the NRG EvGo DC charger closest to me and it had the correct connector. However, I did not try it as I had over 80% charge at the time. I am waiting for my RFI card to arrive from NRG. Please post the number of the service bulletin if you find it.

Chocula -

Thanks again. I downloaded, saved and printed the article. If I have any problems, I just hope the dealership knows of the fix. From all that I read, it sounded like a connector / socket mating problem.

I realize this is a old thread , but when I clicked the link , it went to a torrent download site ?

God bless
Wyr

Fearing such might happen, I wrote a blog post based on his original post. Since blogspot is owned by Google, this won't go away any time soon, even if I'm away.

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2015/09/solution-problem-with-dc-fast-charge.html

Thank you . :)

While I do not have an EV at this time , I am shopping around & trying to research the subject .

God bless
Wyr
Happy Father's Day

SparkevBlogspot said:
Fearing such might happen, I wrote a blog post based on his original post. Since blogspot is owned by Google, this won't go away any time soon, even if I'm away.

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2015/09/solution-problem-with-dc-fast-charge.html
I saw the original post when in May 2015 I first took delivery of my 2015 Spark EV 2LT with quick-charge option. So, I followed the instructions and did the modification myself. Today, a year later I have not had any problems. I did not wait and see whether it would have been a problem or not; I just did it!

Back