Anyone use a home charger that is outdoors?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carney

If / when I get an EV (and the Spark EV is on top of my list right now), I'd probably have to not use the garage but rather the driveway. I'm the first one who leaves in the morning, and if my wife's minivan were in the driveway while my EV would be in the garage I'd be blocked. Also it would be nice if she could take the kids into the van safe from precipitation and extreme temperatures of the outdoors. We could have her park in the street while I use the garage, but that requires her to load one of the kids into the van from the street - not ideal from a safety perspective.

So. Unless I snake a long charger under the closed garage door out to the driveway, I'd need to have an outdoor charger. Either free standing, or up against the outside wall of the house/garage.

Anyone else do this? How well does it work? Any brand / make / model recommendations? Are there homeowner association hassles? Extra installation expenses?

You can get a charging station with a pretty long cable. Mine is 25 feet long. I actually run mine out to the driveway and use a broom handle under the garage door so the door doesn't hit the cable, when closing the door at night. There's probably a better way to handle this, but it allows me to park and charge outside and the unit is on the wall in the garage, about 6 feet into the garage.

Of course you can use the cable that comes with the car, but it will take you about 20 hours to fully charge the vehicle from close to empty. Now, if your commute is short, that might not be an issue. While they do not recommend using an extension cord, I do know people who do, but they use a heavy duty one, and it's not too too long.

My 30a EVSE is in the garage, with a 25' cord that I run under the door. It's fine for my usual parking spot in the driveway. If I need to park further down the driveway (sometimes I do) I use the factory supplied 120v EVSE set on 8a plugged into a 50' long 10awg extension cord. No heat or voltage drop issues when using such a stout cord at only 8a.

Most (all?) EVSE's are rated and would be fine for outdoor usage though. I just personally worry about theft.

I have a Power Max™ 30A mounted outdoors next to my driveway for about a year now and have not had any issues. It is shaded by a tree so does not get a lot of direct sunlight. It does get wet when it rains and I will spray if off with the garden hose after it rains because all the dirt washes out of the tree leaving everything below filthy.

I had a charging station outside. I'd recommend a clipper creek LCS-20 or a higher amperage model if you're looking to the future. While I have a leviton, all that's required is a station that is rated for outdoor use and to have the station hardwired.

Here's what mine looked like when it was outside:
aEHriFll.jpg

If you get the Spark, the Bosch will be your choice since you get $500 off.
You just need to mount it on the wall close to where you will park the vehicle, and run a new wire as long as you need to the Panel.
I would't waste my money on the 25 ft cord model.

u7hdAdp.jpg

8wJuLkJ.jpg

Terrific responses everyone. Wow, thank you so much. No twinge of fear plugging or un-plugging outdoors in pouring rain?

Carney said:
No twinge of fear plugging or un-plugging outdoors in pouring rain?

Absolutely not. That's why we have this unique connector (SAE J1772) instead of a "normal" connector...it ensures user safety in the harshest of conditions by not allowing power to the connector until it is properly connected to the car.

Bryce

Unless you really have to charge, why not wait until the rain stops before you plug/unplug ? :D
Of course, here in Cali nowadays, probability of rain is very slim...

no issues with the rain. The connectors are designed with water i mind, and the EVSE's are GFCI protected. All is good.

Carney said:
Terrific responses everyone. Wow, thank you so much. No twinge of fear plugging or un-plugging outdoors in pouring rain?

No. The SAE plug is well-designed, and should be impervious to problems in the rain. This is why EVSE equipment costs hundreds of dollars for something that is just a big switch.

I have the Siemens VersiCharge mounted outdoor, and it works great. I selected it over the Bosch because it has a higher waterproofing rating, and my unit is surrounded by greenery. The Siemens is rated for splashed water, which allows me to water the plants in that area without worrying about the unit.

Note also that the standards for an permanently attached outdoor 240V plug are somewhat confusing and hard to interpret. I believe that you are allowed to install an EVSE with a plug in a weatherproof box by the most recent NEC, but YMMV. If you want to be safe, and you're installing for the long-haul, a hardwired installation is better. I had my electrician run a fresh wire from the sub-panel, and I enter my EVSE from behind through the garage wall.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Carney said:
Are there homeowner association hassles? Extra installation expenses?

Our house has a long, single-lane driveway which can accommodate three cars. My wife and daughter gripe about having to park on the street so "Li'l Sparky" can be close to the level 1 charger. The solution is to put the Level 2 charger on a post halfway down the driveway. That way, no matter when I get home at night, the 21' cord can reach.

Our city has a code enforcement office with 6 officers who patrol the streets looking for scofflaws. You know: cars without tags, grass too long, home improvement projects without permits. My charger sitting on a post in the front yard would certainly elicit a reaction. So, I contacted the city asking if they had any objection. Their email response was no, as long as the county issued a permit and performed an inspection.

I got an electrician to pull the permit and he's letting me do the work to save money. Got the conduit finished and the post set this evening. Running wires tomorrow night and hopefully level 2 charging will follow. Inspection is tentatively scheduled for Thursday. That said, I still have a strong inkling the city will have some thoughts on the whole matter before all is said and done. Sure glad I have that email. Wish me luck!

Dusty

Back