AbelGoddard

Re: Post-charging fan problem?

Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:11 am

Down to 80% battery.

I unplugged at 9am this morning and let the car sit in my garage. Over the last 3 hours, apparently the car thought it was too hot and turned on the fan and I lost 20% battery. I'm heading to the dealer in a few minutes.

NORTON

Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:37 am

Technically, it turned on the TMS, which is: AC compressor, coolant pump and the fans.
And in the winter TMS is: Coolant heater, coolant pump.

Technically, a Spark EV does not 'cool itself' when not plugged in, afaik.

Your car sounds weird... Good luck.
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC. +78 K miles.
Mostly free charging! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.
3 step Trouble Tree, 1st try car died again, 2nd try not covered / cost $800. 3rd try fixed the problem.

MrDRMorgan

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:51 am

NORTON wrote:Technically, it turned on the TMS, which is: AC compressor, coolant pump and the fans.

I think - needs a bit more testing to be sure - that the charge mode must be set to IMMEDIATE in order to have TMS immediately active. Otherwise, if the charge mode is set to DELAYED, nothing will happen, including TMS, until the calculated start time is reached and charging is activated.

67goat

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:35 pm

MrDRMorgan wrote:
NORTON wrote:Technically, it turned on the TMS, which is: AC compressor, coolant pump and the fans.

I think - needs a bit more testing to be sure - that the charge mode must be set to IMMEDIATE in order to have TMS immediately active. Otherwise, if the charge mode is set to DELAYED, nothing will happen, including TMS, until the calculated start time is reached and charging is activated.
I haven't done delayed testing, so I don't know what status the light is in during that mode. But the manual says TMS will come on if the status light is yellow, solid green, or blinking.

NORTON

Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:36 am

AbelGoddard wrote:......I'm heading to the dealer in a few minutes.
Abel,
What's the good word?
Did they come up with some hard fix for your Spark EV?
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC. +78 K miles.
Mostly free charging! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.
3 step Trouble Tree, 1st try car died again, 2nd try not covered / cost $800. 3rd try fixed the problem.

AbelGoddard

Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:16 am

I haven't been able to get it in to the dealer. I called my closest dealer yesterday but even though they could work on it in theory, they want me to drop it off and then they can get to it in 3-4 days AFTER I drop it off. But they don't have a loaner available and that just seems ridiculous to me that anyone can just randomly drop off their car and not have it for a week. Even setting an appointment was no good - the appointment wouldn't guarantee that they could work on it or have a loaner available. So I'm calling the next dealer today to see what happens. I think that ultimately the car is OK, so I'm not super worried about getting it in and fixed immediately.

Return to “Batteries and Charging”