Co-worker Ratting on EV charging

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevon

Before plugging in at work, I got the official "Its OK if no one complains" approval. The first charging location, you guessed it someone complained. Found a second place but the situation changed and they needed the spot next to the building necessitating finding the 3rd spot which was an outdoor 240 volt construction distribution power hub in front of a legitimate parking spot. Today someone put a 3 page safety document on my windshield (unsigned of course) and with a magic marker note threatening me "you will loose your job over this!" Needless to say it only takes one rotten apple to spoil it for every one. Not worth even the slightest possibility of loosing my job so it's NIX for charging at work for me. There is always someone to complain it seems!

It was more about policy than safety for the site. Lets just say it would take an act of congress to change this policy and leave it at that.
fengshui said:
What did the safety document say? EVSEs are incredibly safe.

stevon said:
... I got the official "Its OK if no one complains" approval....

Why doesn't this 'Official Approval' guy take a stand for the clean energy future of transportation and tell the whiners to grow up?

I'll bet these whiners sip free company coffee all day long. How do they feel about that policy? Which one costs the company more per employee?

Seriously, help us understand. Your L1 charger was plugged in to an outdoor 120v receptacle? Any extension cord or tripping hazard?

Perhaps you can talk to maintenance and have a dedicated EV parking stall with outlets, or possibly even have a level 2 EVSE installed. Your company would be ahead of the game if they did this.

Zoomit,
It was an act of congress that made it a policy by law that "personal vehicle charging is not allowed" at my job site, trust me there is no winning this. Although the document had a scribbled warning (unsigned as it was) the content was accurate, so why stir the kettle? I'm looking into an offer from a neighbor 2 blocks away who has a solar array who might consider letting me charge. Waiting for feed back from him. I will find a way to get charged without pushing my home electricity base rate to $0.37 or even $0.48 per kwh! Had a sweet setup at work and everybody was cool, had a L2 30amp-240 volt connection using an OpenEVSE 30A Standard Charge Station Combo. The CEP 6506GU box at work already had several cables connected and mine was no additional trip hazard. there was no side walk to run wire over either and I had a cone buy the charge door just for safety.
OpenEVSE-Gharge-Station-2-sm.jpg

Some one was just jealous I'm guessing.
imagesLK5JP6Q8.jpg

Zoomit said:
Seriously, help us understand. Your L1 charger was plugged in to an outdoor 120v receptacle? Any extension cord or tripping hazard?

stevon said:
>It was an act of congress that made it a policy by law that "personal vehicle charging is not allowed" at my job site, ...

>>Some one was just jealous I'm guessing.

>So, it sounds like you may work at a government job site. This is the same government that is trying to encourage EV adoption by offering a $7500 tax incentive to the early adopters.
Maybe letters to your elected officials could show them the paradox of this policy and your plight.

>> Yep, this sums it up. But then there are certain media sources that Hate anything related to the Clean Energy Future. Some people only listen to 'certain media', if you know what I mean.

Norton,
Thanks for the comments. better and more powerful people have fought the fight and lost. To pay lobbyist a few thousand dollars is within the cost of doing business for the energy syndicate monopoly world wide. So I don't expect Congress (for sale) to look out for my concerns (no money to buy influence). It's just the way things are, this still is the greatest country on earth!
NORTON said:
stevon said:
>It was an act of congress that made it a policy by law that "personal vehicle charging is not allowed" at my job site, ...

>>Some one was just jealous I'm guessing.

>So, it sounds like you may work at a government job site. This is the same government that is trying to encourage EV adoption by offering a $7500 tax incentive to the early adopters.
Maybe letters to your elected officials could show them the paradox of this policy and your plight.

>> Yep, this sums it up. But then there are certain media sources that Hate anything related to the Clean Energy Future. Some people only listen to 'certain media', if you know what I mean.

Even if my company offered to pay for the equipment and the power it is still not permitted. Others have tried before with no success.
xylhim said:
Perhaps you can talk to maintenance and have a dedicated EV parking stall with outlets, or possibly even have a level 2 EVSE installed. Your company would be ahead of the game if they did this.

Where I work, my employer wants to install EV charging equipment and the building owner won't go for it. No idea why, we're 15 years into leasing the buildings.

nikwax said:
Where I work, my employer wants to install EV charging equipment and the building owner won't go for it. No idea why, we're 15 years into leasing the buildings.
I'll bet this 'building owner' listens to 'certain media', the kind that hates EV's and the clean future.

Anyway, what about simple outdoor rated outlets on this building? 120V or 240V. But then the parking situation must allow the cars to be parked against the building where the outlets are.
None of this has to be a permanent installation, as far the the owner is concerned. It could all be removed and a few holes plugged without too much effort.

NORTON said:
nikwax said:
I'll bet this 'building owner' listens to 'certain media', the kind that hates EV's and the clean future.

Anyway, what about simple outdoor rated outlets on this building? 120V or 240V. But then the parking situation must allow the cars to be parked against the building where the outlets are.
None of this has to be a permanent installation, as far the the owner is concerned. It could all be removed and a few holes plugged without too much effort.

Still nope. Though I think we're still negotiating with the owners.

The solar option was nixed today by his wife stating it doesn't work for them. Surfing plugshare found a place 4 blocks from work. Negotiating with the owner, he offered to let me charge at his work place 7 miles from my work. :( At the plugshare listed address (his home) He said he would only allow a one time emergency charge to get me home. He said NO to the weekly charge option even after I offered to pay my way. Thanked him for his time and said I understood. Later in the day located a L2 charge spot in mission valley. Drove there, plugged in and walked 1.9 miles up hill to my house. A decent workout, good news is that a down hill bike ride gets me to work tomorrow! :D persistence pays!
Zoomit said:
Bummer--hope the solar option works out.

stevon said:
The solar option was nixed today by his wife stating it doesn't work for them. Surfing plugshare found a place 4 blocks from work. Negotiating with the owner, he offered to let me charge at his work place 7 miles from my work. :( At the plugshare listed address (his home) He said he would only allow a one time emergency charge to get me home. He said NO to the weekly charge option even after I offered to pay my way. Thanked him for his time and said I understood. Later in the day located a L2 charge spot in mission valley. Drove there, plugged in and walked 1.9 miles up hill to my house. A decent workout, good news is that a down hill bike ride gets me to work tomorrow! :D persistence pays!
Zoomit said:

I hope you left a note for anyone that might need that charge station once your car is charged up, letting them know it's OK to unplug you once the dash light starts blinking...

Sparkler,
Good idea! I pickup the car based on estimated full charge time displayed on the Dash. Would have to disable the horn alarm when unplugged.
Sparkler said:
stevon said:
Zoomit said:

I hope you left a note for anyone that might need that charge station once your car is charged up, letting them know it's OK to unplug you once the dash light starts blinking...

Have a place to charge for free 1.9 miles away from my house if I walk on pavement. Took a short cut through some brush on Wednesday. I found out that we do have poison oak here, boy did I find out! :eek: Taking prescribed steroids and using Aveeno Anti-Itch lotion, where did I put my wire brushes? Even free electricity has some costs!

stevon said:
Have a place to charge for free 1.9 miles away from my house if I walk on pavement. Took a short cut through some brush on Wednesday. I found out that we do have poison oak here, boy did I find out! :eek: Taking prescribed steroids and using Aveeno Anti-Itch lotion, where did I put my wire brushes? Even free electricity has some costs!

Painful! Wire brushes won't help poison oak...

I used to be very allergic to that stuff, I would get a rash just by driving through the woods when it was active. If I could smell it, I would itch. It's been years since I was told the secret to getting some immunity from it by an old hippie at an outdoor concert. She said to find a plant in winter when it was not too active and eat just one of it's tiniest leaves. I was desperate and tried that, and it has not bothered me since! I'm sure actual contact would still be painful, but the long distance rashes have gone away.

Back