Bosch Level 2 Charger On-Off Switch

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan95126

Just had my electrician install my Bosch 16 Amp charger for my Chevy Spark. There's an on/off switch on the charger as well. The charger is in my garage protected from the elements.

What's the best practice here? Should I only turn the switch on when charging or can I just leave in on all the time?

dan95126 said:
Just had my electrician install my Bosch 16 Amp charger for my Chevy Spark. There's an on/off switch on the charger as well. The charger is in my garage protected from the elements.

What's the best practice here? Should I only turn the switch on when charging or can I just leave in on all the time?
I turn mine off after I am done charging but I do not think it really matters as the Bosch EVSE uses very little power on its own.

Leave it turned on. There's no need to turn it off and create another step in your plug in process.

I have mine installed on the driveway for 11 months now. I turn it on every night to charge, and turn it off in the morning when I unplug.
The green light kind of bugs me :D .. It feels like wasting electricity..

I would expect the primary effect of turning an EVSE on and off every day would be a higher probability of switch failure. We leave our Bosch on 24/7, if the car is not plugged in all it is doing is listening for a car.

My EVSE consumes 3 watts when just sitting there. Less than some night lights.
I would keep it simple. Grab the charger handle, plug it in, walk away, maybe glance back for the green dashboard light. (Config that annoy horn honk off.)

Back