Problem with Bosch Charging Station

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franko

I installed a Bosch EL-51254 Charging Station 16 months ago shortly after I got my Spark. A couple of weeks ago I started having problems getting the car to charge. At first I could get it to work if I wiggled the plug a little or disconnected and reconnected. Indicator light on the Bosch came on and car charged fine on 110 v or public level 2 chargers. I called Bosch to find out where I could send it for repair (warrantee is 12 months), they told me they do not repair them. I came to the conclusion that the J1772 plug was the problem and replaced the plug and cord with a Leviton unit, works fine now. Leviton's plug is much heaver than the Bosch one and they claim it is good for 10K connections. This is not a difficult job, took about 1 1/2 hours.

Perhaps you got one of those bad coupler. This is the powerexpeess model but I assume the coupler could be the same. Heats up,deforms, and cant connect right. Lucky it never caught on fire I guess.

http://jamiegeek.myevblog.com/2015/01/06/a-powerxpress-recall/

Back