What charger to get - and from where?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tedder

Hi

just got my Sparky 2 days ago and now need to get a charger for the garage. Can anyone recommend a model and source that is as inexpensive as possible that will last 3+ years?

Thanks

Ted
Spark EV 2LT (white) - nicknamed 'Baby' by my wife and daughter

Contact GM/Bosche to see if they still give $500 credit to Bosche EVSE. That ended up being pretty much free EVSE for me.

tedder said:
Hi

just got my Sparky 2 days ago and now need to get a charger for the garage. Can anyone recommend a model and source that is as inexpensive as possible that will last 3+ years?

Thanks

Ted
Spark EV 2LT (white) - nicknamed 'Baby' by my wife and daughter

Send an email to [email protected] to get the ball rolling. If you acquired a new '16 Spark EV, you are eligible for a $500 rebate good towards a Bosch EVSE. The $500 will get you a free Power Max 16 amp L2 unit with a 12' cord. I know because I just received my unit from Bosch, and I paid $0 out of pocket....they didn't charge shipping or tax for whatever reason.

I personally would prefer a Clipper Creek unit over Bosch, but free is free.

Thanks

I talked to Bosch and I think I am going to grab one of the 30A units with the 18' cord. The extra length will make it a lot easier at my house plus then when the lease is up and I get my next car it can support the faster charging. After the rebate with all taxes & delivery it'll be $178 + installation.

Not sure how much install will cost but it will be on the garage wall right behind the main breaker panel so drill one hole, 4' of wire and its done so should not be much I'm hoping

Ted

tedder said:
Thanks

I talked to Bosch and I think I am going to grab one of the 30A units with the 18' cord. The extra length will make it a lot easier at my house plus then when the lease is up and I get my next car it can support the faster charging. After the rebate with all taxes & delivery it'll be $178 + installation.

Not sure how much install will cost but it will be on the garage wall right behind the main breaker panel so drill one hole, 4' of wire and its done so should not be much I'm hoping

Ted

I didn't get charged any tax or shipping fwiw. You might4even ve eligible for the 30% fed tax credit too.

According to the guy I spoke with there was a $25 delivery fee + $3 S&H. If you got the 16A system this might leave you below the $500 rebate max so it gets dropped? I am guessing here but he did say if I got the 16A system it would be completely free (except installation)

I wanted the bigger one though since I doubt this is my last electric and didn't want to have to buy another later, plus for the longer cord

Ted

When I got mine the $500 credit did not apply to shipping, even if you got the 16 amp version. I went with the 30 to "future proof" things and with the Bolt on the horizon I'm glad I did. Also, the longer cord is nice to have. It's not made by Bosch, they OEM a unit made by Delta; I've not had a lick of trouble in the 28 months I've had mine.

If you're comfortable working with electricity, installation is not bad. If you're not, hire somebody locally. You're going to need to add a 240 volt 40 amp breaker to your panel and you'll soon realize that 8 awg wire (I used 8/2 romex) is a bit unwieldy.

emv said:
When I got mine the $500 credit did not apply to shipping, even if you got the 16 amp version. I went with the 30 to "future proof" things and with the Bolt on the horizon I'm glad I did. Also, the longer cord is nice to have. It's not made by Bosch, they OEM a unit made by Delta; I've not had a lick of trouble in the 28 months I've had mine.

If you're comfortable working with electricity, installation is not bad. If you're not, hire somebody locally. You're going to need to add a 240 volt 40 amp breaker to your panel and you'll soon realize that 8 awg wire (I used 8/2 romex) is a bit unwieldy.

Huh, I ordered the $449 unit, and my invoice just listed the $449, then the $500 rebate credited under it. I didn't have to pay anything out of pocket.

Maybe the person that prepared my order screwed up? Whatever, then can screw up in my favor. :)

Back