Range Increasing - Summer Phenomenon?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuietRider

Hello!

It's been only a month that I've been driving a Spark - Seems like the range (in blue ball) increase a mile every time I charge it. The first charge brought it up to 79, next 80, then 81, 82, 83.... and today when I took it to the post office after charging it was at 96 miles.

Strange, because the rated range was stated as 82 miles. After making the 6+ mile round trip, the blue range ball indicated 91, with other ranges Max (at top) of 98 and Min (at bottom) of 83. It was surprising, considering that the range is stated as 82, and the minimum after making a trip was higher than 82.

Does this have something to do with the heat of summer temperatures? Other posts noted reduced range in winter - does the range average out over the year? 70 in winter and 96 in summer?

Also, on my ~ 35 mile travel to my workplace, it seems to only reduce the range (in blue ball) by about 3/4ths of the starting range. That is going 35 miles on the odometer, reduces the indicated range by about 25 miles. Maybe the reverse will happen in winter when it's 10 degrees in the morning leaving for work - :)

The Blue Ball Range is the Guess O Meter. It only predicts how far you might go after seeing how you have been driving previously. It does not know how you will actually be using the car this day.
You are driving slow and easy to have it indicate 96 miles.
Now load up 3 of your fat friends and head up the mountain at 75 mph.
The next time you charge you will see a disappointing number in the GOM.

Back