Planning a trip

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leafless

Anyone try travelling from L.A. area to Bakersfield? Grapevine looks like a real challenge.

How about L.A. to Santa Cruz via I-5 to SR 41 then west to U.S. 101?

Any info on charging locations? How about DCFC charging stations?

Leafless said:
Anyone try travelling from L.A. area to Bakersfield? Grapevine looks like a real challenge.

How about L.A. to Santa Cruz via I-5 to SR 41 then west to U.S. 101?

Any info on charging locations? How about DCFC charging stations?

If you are trying to get to Santa Cruz, CA it can be done but only along the coastal route. There is an earlier post on this site where the driver successfully drove his Spark EV to Sacramento via the coastal route. it is titled "MY LONGEST ROAD TRIP 1200 MILES".

Going North on I-5 out of LA over the Grapevine will not work. There is only a DCFC station at the Kia dealer in Valencia and the next one is in Visalia off of HWY 99. There is nothing along I-5. There are a few L2 locations along I-5 / 99 going over the Grapevine but it would, in my opinion, be too risky. Getting to Bakersfield from the North or South right now is not very likely.

Go to http://www.plugshare.com and check the charging options along your planned route. I live in Manteca, CA near Stockton and just off of HWY 99. I can get to Tulare which is located about 60 miles North of Bakersfield but getting to Bakersfield would present a real challenge. There are L2 stations at the Edison Energy Center in Tulare and Visalia is only 13 miles more North.

Leafless said:

Lack of DCFC makes it pretty 'remote'. You could investigate going through Lancaster and Mojave [58] but that's several hours of Level 2 charging with the infrastructure available. Maybe stop to take in a (long) movie en route?

sparkshe said:
Wait, if it's only 60 miles from tulare to bakersfield, that should be doable, right?

Yes, it is doable - 65 miles from Tulare. Range could be a concern depending on your road speed and AC use. There are L2 charging locations at the Edison Energy Education Center about 6 miles South of Tulare, in Delano and a few in Bakersfield. Be sure to check PlugShare to make sure all locations are in operation.

Going North from Bakersfield, the nearest fast-charge location is in Visalia and the next one is in Selma. Further North are fast chargers in Fresno and North of Fresno is a new fast charger in Chowchilla. I have not visited the Visalia location but I have visited the Selma location and it is very nice and has easy access.

Back