DCFC issues

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67goat

Two issues that I wonder if anyone else experiences...

EvGo charging stations: I did not ever experience the "cannot charge" phenomenon with these. However, these stations never reset my percentages and total used power back to zero. Could this be related to the issue others were having? Maybe I am getting enough connection to charge, but not enough for all the control codes?

Greenlots: This doesn't happen every time, but it happens most of the time. When driving away, after about five to ten feet, the car feels like it hit a rock, or like a square notch catching on something. I assume it is the e brake. I read about a noise that can happen, but this is more than a noise. It is a thunk and a jolt. It only happens with greenlots.

67goat said:
Two issues that I wonder if anyone else experiences...

EvGo charging stations: I did not ever experience the "cannot charge" phenomenon with these. However, these stations never reset my percentages and total used power back to zero. Could this be related to the issue others were having? Maybe I am getting enough connection to charge, but not enough for all the control codes?

Greenlots: This doesn't happen every time, but it happens most of the time. When driving away, after about five to ten feet, the car feels like it hit a rock, or like a square notch catching on something. I assume it is the e brake. I read about a noise that can happen, but this is more than a noise. It is a thunk and a jolt. It only happens with greenlots.

I too have noticed that EVgo DCFC stations do not always reset my display. Normally, though, I only charge to 85-90% and leave. EVgo charges by the minute and the charging rate really falls off after 85%. I have had a couple of "thunks" when I back up but not recently. I haven't had any problems with Greenlots except their chargers tend to be slower than Evgo. Some Chargepoint DCFC stations are even slower. But..... regardless of vendor, I sure am glad the DCFC stations are available.

I'm glad too. I often charge to full because I only use DCFC when I am really going past my limits. Since I can't really charge at home, I have to have at least 2 bars to make sure I have enough juice to get to work the following workday. It takes a minimum of 5 bars to get from the SMUD greenlots charger to my house, more if I want to drive over 55. Then I have to account for possible wind or heat, and trips to the store between getting home and charging. With EvGo, they aren't convenient for the directions I travel most, so I have the pay as you go plan. That's a $5 connection fee, so I top off just because of that. If I traveled south or west more often than I do, I would get the $15 a month plan so there would be no connect fee.

Neither issue has stopped me, they just don't sound exactly like what I was reading about on these forums before.

67goat said:
I'm glad too. I often charge to full because I only use DCFC when I am really going past my limits. Since I can't really charge at home, I have to have at least 2 bars to make sure I have enough juice to get to work the following workday. It takes a minimum of 5 bars to get from the SMUD greenlots charger to my house, more if I want to drive over 55. Then I have to account for possible wind or heat, and trips to the store between getting home and charging. With EvGo, they aren't convenient for the directions I travel most, so I have the pay as you go plan. That's a $5 connection fee, so I top off just because of that. If I traveled south or west more often than I do, I would get the $15 a month plan so there would be no connect fee.

Neither issue has stopped me, they just don't sound exactly like what I was reading about on these forums before.

I assume you are constantly watching PlugShare.com for new charging locations. This website has been a blessing for EV pilots who wander the roads of California and other states in their attempt to use that last electron before calling a tow truck. I check PlugShare.com every day looking for new charging stations I can use to extend my Sparkie's range and widen the frontiers of my EV exploration.

I don't check it every day, but I check it often. The Central Valley has been very slow in adding DCFC. I'm waiting for one to open out towards Sonora. According to the some council minutes I read, they decided not pursue one. Instead, the are backing ChargePoint in their bid to get some of the new grant money to put one in. I just hope it is not one of their 25kW models.

I use the app any time I take a trip to the Bay Area. There are so many out that way that I can just drive to the next one if one is in use (also several out that way where there are multiple stations).

I do notice that there are more coming in in the lower part of the Central Valley. I did also notice that I5 north is wide open now. I've been thinking about taking a road trip to Portland before the roads turn bad. I realize charging will be slower since they are the 25kW units, but still doable.

The real west-coast dead zone is the entire state of Washington - no DCFC for 175 miles between Portland and Seattle/Tacoma.
I-5 corridor DCFC is almost complete from Portland south to San Francisco, but Portland to Seattle is still a two- or three-day trip.

Back