New experience

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67goat

I haven't drained the battery pack yet, but I did experience a new situation today. Went to lunch with a friend and when we got to his house I had about 6 miles left. We watched some tv and I cam back out several hours later. Turned the car on and the heat had dropped that down to simply "LOW".

Luckily, was able to limp to a 240 charger for 20 minutes to get enough to limp to a DCFC.

Thought for sure there was going to be an OnStar call.

So, I likely had a mile or two left. Plus, I think the heat may have sapped some capacity (that, or the GOM changed calculations between drives). Nearly empty, in any event. Showed 17.5 used (average of 5.7 m/kWh). 11,900 miles on the car ('15).

I've noticed a delay in the GOM updates. When I drive to a local store the trip there is always downhill. I often notice that I have one more mile of guesstimated range when I return to my car vs what it said on arrival.

It's probably to make up for that mile you lose almost instantly after starting to move.

On reflection, I don't think the heat took capacity, I think the car just recalculated after being restarted. Given I was getting 5.7 m/kWh, the usable capacity may still have been about 18 kWh. If I could have made it about 2-3 more miles that is what the usage would be. I think 3 miles left is where it switches low low (never got below 4 remaining previously). I could have tried to make it to the quick charger that was a couple more miles past the library to get a better total discharge figure. However, I didn't feel like waiting for the tow truck in the heat if I didn't make it.

"Low" is when it's 1 mile remaining. I went down to 2 miles, then drove another mile to see it transition to "low".

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2015/05/4-miles-remaining-and-loving-it.html

Ah, not having gotten to that point before, I wasn't sure where that was. But I still feel I could have gone another mile or two. It was at 6 when I turned the car off, so even with a recalculation I feel I could have squeezed 3 miles out. That would have put my kWh right about 18.

Drained down to 90% today with 16.1 kWh used. That calculates to 17.9. 12k miles, 10 months old. That seems to indicate minimal loss in capacity.

Back