Portable CHAdeMO or CCS Fast Charger

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sTeeve

Well, this is interesting. These guys are vending a portable CHAdeMO/CCS Fast Charger:

https://www.evseadapters.com/en/home/136-portable-chademo-or-ccs-fast-charger.html

The price is outrageous @ nearly $4k. I talked with them about it; it's Chinese-made (Setec) and is meant for the 3.3 kW crowd (hey, that's us! :mrgreen: ). I don't know if a group buy would make much difference; can't hurt to ask.

This could be a significant addition for both home charging and road trips where DC fast charging is unavailable but L2 charging is (RV park or J1772). I've been on too many of those kinds of trips and budgeted time accordingly. Dropping the time for a charging stop from 5 hrs to 2 hrs is significant. If this gadget is your only EVSE, that would make more sense (but not much more $en$e unless you're certifiable, like me). Use it in your garage at home, toss it in the car for road trips (44 lbs).

Would some kind soul talk me down from the ledge? The other fast charge gadget from Diginow (http://diginow.it/super-charger-for-zero-motorcycle.php) seems to have gone nowhere. I've not received any answers from numerous requests for updates. That's too bad...however, that hardware would have been a warranty-voider.

-Bob K.

DON'T JUMP! ;-)

Price is too high. For that much money, you can probably buy a used gas car, or rent a gas sporadically for many years. I think their target market is IMiev, SmartED, both 3.3 kW L2 without DCFC. If you have SparkEV without DCFC, it could be an option, though a new 3 year lease with DCFC might be about that much. I don't see much market for something like this, especially at that price.

What would be interesting is to have both CHademo and CCS on SparkEV for about $750. Unfortunately, no interest in that from quickchargepower.com, and certainly won't be $750, more like $3000.

sTeeve said:
Well, this is interesting. These guys are vending a portable CHAdeMO/CCS Fast Charger:
https://www.evseadapters.com/en/hom...ccs-fast-charger.html#/127-connector_type-ccs

That link took me to a standard L2 EVSE for some reason, some sort of redirect. Maybe this one (for CHAdeMO) will work: https://www.evseadapters.com/en/home/136-portable-chademo-or-ccs-fast-charger.html. There is a drop down to select the CCS, which shows as unavailable.

SparkevBlogspot said:
I think their target market is IMiev, SmartED, both 3.3 kW L2 without DCFC. If you have SparkEV without DCFC, it could be an option

This is specifically for cars with DCFC. From the website: "Your car must have a quick charge port for this to work."

Looks like it's just taking 240V AC and turning it into appropriate DC. Not sure what that is for the different cars, standard seems to say it can be from 200-800V.

This looks like it's technically a DCFC station, just limited by the source power. Says it's limited to 20A. So an L2 EVSE that could do 240VAC @ 32A could provide over 7kW of charging, except that some cars only have 3kW chargers. If you take the 7.68kW and divide it by the 20A this unit can do, that is ~380VDC. Not taking into account any inefficiencies for conversion there, so it would probably be less than the full 7.68kW, but still quite a bit more than 3.3kW. Would make any car with DCFS and only a 3.3kW onboard charger quite a bit faster to charge.

Oops, you are right, of course. Then market is bit bigger with pre-2013 Leaf with Chademo also having only 3.3kW L2. But given that those Leaf are selling for about $8K, I don't know how many will pay $4K for portable "low power" DCFC, especially when they can lease a new Leaf for about $175/mo. Of course, SparkEV is the only one with CCS and 3.3 kW L2, so that market is even smaller.

I think something like this has to be under $1K to make any sales, and even that seems like a lot.

SparkevBlogspot said:
I think something like this has to be under $1K to make any sales, and even that seems like a lot.

Agreed. The current price is too high. But if you knew you could stop at any of the numerous L2 charging stations that doesn't have DCFC and take a long lunch or do sight-seeing for a couple hours, you could take a fairly nice, and long, road trip. It's worth something, but I'm not sure how much.

Try : https://www.evseadapters.com/en/home/136-portable-chademo-or-ccs-fast-charger.html

(Not clickable, as this forum appears to redirect to another page for some bizarre reason - you'll have to go 'old school' and copy-and-paste the URL}

What would be really cool (and *almost* worth $3K) would be if the 'portable DCFC' could accept *two* power inputs at the same time. Plug two separate J1772 plugs in, get 40A @ ~380VDC (13-15kW). That would allow 'on the road' charges from 15% SoC to 85% in about 50 mins - and not heat-stress the batteries very much, either. One can dream

Since the 'standard' one they are proposing today says it comes with a NEMA 14-50 plug, it looks like it might be able charge at around 10-11 kW if you have that receptacle available. Getting a close-to-full charge in a bit over an hour at work (or using a 14-50 plug available according to plugshare.com during travels) isn't to be sneezed at. It sure would make long-distance travel in a Spark more 'do-able' (but still too many painful waits). It would be a hell of an insurance policy for those times when the expected DCFC is broken (or you're 5th in line).

Still ... almost $4000 ?!!?

I want to know more about their claimed Tesla adapter. Are there business arrangements with Tesla that allow this thing to use their charger network, or does it just allow you to use a Tesla L2 home charger?

What I would pay $2K for is 4 L2 in port + 1 Chademo in port. Thing would combine up to four 6.6 kW L2 to up to 25 kW CCS. It would also convert Chademo to CCS. All that has to be less than 50 lb and small enough to be portable. Now that would be work $2K.

Back