Stupid question - do I need an EVSE?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taxman

Is an EVSE necessary to communicate with the car and get it to charge, or is it possible to simply feed 240v @ 20A to a J1772 cord and plug it in?

No.
The EVSE is basically a safety device. It has Ground Fault Interruption function. There is no voltage at the J1772 until there is a 'Hand Shake' with the car. Then the relay closes. It's on or off internally.
And it does establish a communication to tell the car how much current the car's On Board Charger can draw. (3.3kW for the Spark EV)

You don't want to be Griswold's Brother-in-Law standing out in the rain with a live 240 V extension cord in one hand and a beer in the other.

Well, there's about $125 worth of cord and connectors, a 30A A/C contactor is about $25, plus you need a rudimentary brain, a toroid coil for ground fault sensing, and a housing to put it all in.

I found some nice looking portable 16A units on Amazon and Ebay for about $280-300, under the name Duosida.
Then I found the same on Alibaba for as little as $130 plus freight.

Oh, well, if Bosch wants to give me one, then that's what I'll do, provided that GM wants to give me a car first. I'm not paying $140 a month for it, it has to be two digits before I'll dive in.

Back