My Range is Lying (148 miles)

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkyDanilo

Brand New 2016 Spark EV.
Last week, after not driving my car for a couple days, I drove to work (38 mile commute) on a full charge. I usually get to work with about 40% battery left (lots of hills). But this time when I was about 10 miles away, the range started going up. When I got to work I had a 148 mile range on my battery. I did a few power cycles with and without the charger plugged in and nothing changed. I left it plugged in at 12 amps because I knew it was lying and I needed to get home at the end of the day.
I kept refreshing my Chevy app to check the range and it wasn't changing. Finally at the end of the day once I started driving home, the battery range started to drop really fast until it hit the actual range. (50-60 miles)
It didn't happen for about a week, then this morning it happened again. My range has been at 118 miles since halfway through my commute.
I live in Los Angeles, so it can't be weather. The only change was that I got my alarm installed 2-3 weeks ago. But that would be weird since it didn't happen right away.

Anyone heard stories like this? Or experience it?

Thanks!

It's obviously some sort of glitch.
You seem to know about the Guess-O-Meter, vs, the Green Tube state-of-charge, vs, the Leaf page with the actual percentage-of-charge and kWh used.

Keep a picture log of these two screens in case it keeps occurring.

(You're worried someone is going to steal a crappy Spark? ;) )

That is caused by the alarm. I would get that removed immediately, who knows what else it is doing. And I agree, I would think a Spark EV is one of the least-stolen cars in America.... As an example of weird glitches, I once had a Nissan Versa and had HID headlights installed at a shop, and after that, if you turned on the a/c while driving, the car would shut off!!! Weird things can happen, I had them removed with a quickness.

CSW said:
That is caused by the alarm. I would get that removed immediately, who knows what else it is doing. And I agree, I would think a Spark EV is one of the least-stolen cars in America.... As an example of weird glitches, I once had a Nissan Versa and had HID headlights installed at a shop, and after that, if you turned on the a/c while driving, the car would shut off!!! Weird things can happen, I had them removed with a quickness.

Agreed, letting someone hack an alarm into your car's electrical system is usually a bad idea. Especially with cars as technologically complex and sensitive as this. If you ever saw the splices & hacks those alarm & remote-start guys make you'd never let them near your car.

Has any SparkEV been stolen? I just don't see how you can steal it unless you have the key or the key got hacked. If the key got hacked, alarm may do no good.

It's hard to imagine anyone even Wanting to steal a Spark EV. It does not fit into any category of cars with significant prestige or resale value, and it's a long way from what the hot-wheels kiddies are looking for.

SparkyDanilo said:
The alarm was through the dealer. But I'm still going to call them and see if they know anything about it.

I don't believe there is a factory-approved alarm add-on for the Spark EV (or any recent GM vehicle). Odds are the dealer sub-contracted the install to a local car-audio/alarm/remote-start install shop. But, even if the dealer had their techs do it, they'd be using a third party alarm that likely isn't playing nice with your car's electrical system.

CCIE said:
.. If you ever saw the splices & hacks those alarm & remote-start guys make you'd never let them near your car.
This is SO true!
They use those cheap 'piggyback' splices that cut through 1/3 to 1/2 of the conductor of a wire.
And then removing them leaves a thin piece of the original wire trying to flow current.
These guys get paid by the job, so they work as quick as possible, not caring about the quality.

I'd be tempted to ask to watch the 'Un-Install'. Every time they remove a piggyback they should install a quality butt splice using the proper crimp tools. Good luck with that.

Sorry Pal, you let a car dealership 'Up Sell' you on some $39 Box O'crap.
The oldest trick in the book. :evil:

Did you also buy the "Lifetime Paint Sealer" ??!! :roll:

Just called the dealer and the finance manager didn't seem surprised by my frustration. I'm getting a refund, uninstall, and lifetime warranty to cover any permanent damages. (its just a 3 year lease).
I'll let y'all know if it gets better.

A comment I'd like to make on buying security systems to protect GM Financial or Wells Fargo's interest in the leased car that they own:

The lease comes with GAP insurance, so what protection for yourself are you buying with your money?
If you made a big enough down payment that you want to buy an alarm system to protect your down payment, well, don't put down more than first month's rent. If the car gets wrecked, which is a lot more likely than the car getting stolen, your down payment gets flushed down the toilet anyway.

CSW said:

CAN bus tends to be very sensitive to alien signals floating around on it. As you say, bad idea to add a non-factory electronic device into the mix.

nikwax said:
CSW said:

CAN bus tends to be very sensitive to alien signals floating around on it. As you say, bad idea to add a non-factory electronic device into the mix.
dont all sparkes have a alarm from the factory.

Back