EVSEs other than portable Chevy one don't charge my Spark!

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sequestrian

Oh, awesome of awesomeness, Mickey (my 2015 Chevy Spark 2LT) seemed to be unable to charge at public chargers ever since I tried to DC Fast Charge him, or at least that's when it seemed to start.

I typically charge at one of the four Bosch EVSEs my employer supplies free-of-charge to employees but have been off and/or working from home for the past week. The Friday before last, I had to take my wife's car to the shop and ended up having to make an additional journey there and back and finally into SLC. I figured this was a good time to try DC Fast Charging for the first time and took Mickey to the downtown Nissan dealership, which is one of the only SAE DC chargers in the area. Unfortunately, Mickey was apparently uncommunicative with it and I wasn't able to charge, so I tried two other Level 2 public stations but none of them could communicate with him. I chocked it up to that I was new to those particular networks (Greenlots and EVgo) and limped my way home with low power. I was able to charge at home with the portable EVSE that came with Mickey so I didn't think anything of it.

Last Friday I tried charging at a ChargePoint EVSE at my wife's workplace and again, Mickey didn't seem to communicate with it because the screen kept saying, "Waiting for car to begin charging..." or something like that. Again, I didn't fuss about it because this time I didn't really need the charge. However, I went in to the office this afternoon for a meeting and Mickey wouldn't charge at the Bosch EVSE.

What is going on? Has anyone experienced this? I tried searching the forum without much luck about this specific issue. This is giving me severe range anxiety as the portable EVSE takes ages to charge from a low battery. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

You could try disconnecting the 12V battery for 10 minutes to clear any codes that may be preventing charging. Also check that nothing is lodged in the charge port. If that doesn't help, I'd bring it to the dealer to get checked.

I tried using a Clipper Creek charger provided by a non-profit organization down town. Could not get it to start charging even though the unit power indicator was illuminated. Only failed attempt so far. All other chargers seem to work.

Back