Bosch Power Max charger died after 1.5 years

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamerhokie

The other day I noticed my Power Max charger was flashing red. I called Bosch tech support and they walked me through the troubleshooting procedures. Nothing we tried worked. So they determined my unit was hosed, and recommended I buy another (since it was out of warranty). I asked if it could be serviced and they said no, the unit was not built to be serviced.

So no more Bosch for me. Anyone have a recommendation for a proven reliable 240 V charger?

hamerhokie said:
The other day I noticed my Power Max charger was flashing red. I called Bosch tech support and they walked me through the troubleshooting procedures. Nothing we tried worked. So they determined my unit was hosed, and recommended I buy another (since it was out of warranty). I asked if it could be serviced and they said no, the unit was not built to be serviced.

So no more Bosch for me. Anyone have a recommendation for a proven reliable 240 V charger?
Bummer...
If it was me, I'd open the case and reuse most of the parts.
An EVSE is just a Big Ass relay and a control board that handles the pilot signal to the car, the relay and it performs GFCI duties to make it safe.

Your board probably lost its mind. There are EVSE kits AND parts available. https://store.openevse.com/products/openevse-plus-v4-universal-charging-station-controller $80 !!

It is possible the the relay went bad, but not likely.

I'll give you ten bucks for it. :eek: It really is useless now.. :lol: JK... let me know if you want to sell it ;)

But then,,, I bought a kit JuiceBox and I rarely use it due to free public charging. I really don't need a second one...

hamerhokie said:

Clipper Creek is the gold standard in EVSEs. If you want cheap, the Chinese Duosida units can be found under $200 and seem to be ok.

Back