Spark EV 12 volt battery

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDRMorgan

I received a reply from AC Delco that battery part number LN1AGM, used in the Spark EV and other GM vehicles, is still a good part number and the battery is available. You can contact the ACDelco support center by dialing 1-800-ACDELCO (223-3526).

Here's a spec sheet of various ACDelco battery sizes. Our battery is size LN1. Looks like 26R is pretty close, but I don't think that's too much of a popular size ether.

http://www.dstgateway.com/ACDelcoDocuments/BatterySpecifications.pdf

I suspect it's a case by case situation.

Worse case, a poor '14 was sitting in the back lot at a Cali dealership for 3/4 of a year, unloved and unwanted. And un-plugged in.
The Li-ion is fine. It does not have 'self discharge'.
The 12V Lead Acid does.
And the two radio receivers, and any other 'keep alive' systems in the car are also using power.

And it may have gotten so low it didn't boot the car up when someone finally showed it some attention.
So the dealer jumps it to power it up and "Everything is fine".

Only that particular Lead Acid just had a hard hit to its life expectancy.

The dealer had to change the 12V battery in my 2015 super-leftover when I bought it in November of last year. The car had spent so much time sitting unused that the 12V battery failed even though the car only had 100 miles in it.

AGM batteries are particularly sensitive to being completely discharged and being left in that state for long periods

Curiously I’m in that same situation. Mine is serial number 153 and sat a lot. Total of 8897 miles earlier this month. I’ll check my date code today and see if I should order a replacement.

JeremyW said:
Here's a spec sheet of various ACDelco battery sizes. Our battery is size LN1. Looks like 26R is pretty close, but I don't think that's too much of a popular size ether.

AC Delco lists a suitable replacement in their LN1PS which is a sealed battery but is not an AGM battery. From what I can determine from my 12 volt solar charge controller specifications, the charging voltages are the same for both the sealed battery and the AGM battery. So, I do not see why the LN1PS should not work. NAPA Auto Parts sells a part number 75140R which is also a 12 volt sealed battery of the correct dimensions and post orientation.

Anyone know why GM used the AGM battery in the Spark EV?

I am considering purchasing a 75140R battery "just in case" the 12 volt battery "croaks" in either of my Spark EVs. I will keep the battery charged using a small solar panel coupled with a 12 volt solar charge controller set for a 12 volt AGM/sealed battery. I currently use this same setup to keep the 12 volt sealed battery in my 1999 Chevy pickup truck charged since it is now parked much more than it is used.

MrDRMorgan said:
>AC Delco lists a suitable replacement in their LN1PS which is a sealed battery but is not an AGM battery. ...

>>Anyone know why GM used the AGM battery in the Spark EV?

>>>I am considering purchasing an 75140R battery "just in case" the 12 volt battery "croaks" in either of my Spark EVs. I will keep the battery charged using .......
>Well that settles this whole "Must buy the original AGM, even if it's 2 yrs old when I buy it".

>> Good, but unimportant question at this point in the Spark EV story line...The Volt had the battery in the cabin with no vent line. Why carry an AGM in the Spark EV?

>>> Keep in mind 'Shelf Life', even if it's on a charger of some sort. The fancy 'Battery Tenders' have an 'Anti-sulfation' routine during charging to help with Shelf Life.
http://www.batteryminders.com/avoid-battery-sulfation/

These batteries never experience a heavy 'cranking' load. Life is easy.
They were 'sized' to meet a fed spec for 'Headlights/flashers ON' for X amount of time.
In real life they power the 2 radio receivers and any 'keep alive' needs.
If you are leaving the car parked for a long vacation you could disconnect a battery terminal.
When my time comes, the car is getting a smallish motorcycle battery with rigid foam blocks holding it in place. Maybe a Li-ion version if I feel geeky and have extra funds to play with.

MrDRMorgan said:
JeremyW said:

AC Delco lists a suitable replacement in their LN1PS which is a sealed battery but is not an AGM battery. From what I can determine from my 12 volt solar charge controller specifications, the charging voltages are the same for both the sealed battery and the AGM battery. So, I do not see why the LN1PS should not work. NAPA Auto Parts sells a part number 75140R which is also a 12 volt sealed battery of the correct dimensions and post orientation.

I am considering purchasing a 75140R battery "just in case" the 12 volt battery "croaks" in either of my Spark EVs. I will keep the battery charged using a small solar panel coupled with a 12 volt solar charge controller set for a 12 volt AGM/sealed battery. I currently use this same setup to keep the 12 volt sealed battery in my 1999 Chevy pickup truck charged since it is now parked much more than it is used.

Be careful. The reason the Spark EV uses an AGM battery is because the Volt uses an AGM battery. They canabalized a lot of the parts/programming from the Volt to build the Spark EV, including the APM. The Volt needed an AGM battery because it is inside the cabin of the car. Lead Acid batteries give off hydrogen, so they needed to use AGM for safety.

With that in mind, consider that the Spark EV 12V battery is not inside the cabin (it's under the hood). So, why didn't they use a normal lead acid 12V battery? The answer is that the APM is designed to work with an AGM battery, and they didn't feel like reprogramming it.

So, you're risking damage to the APM if you don't use an AGM battery. It's your car, but I wouldn't risk it to save $50. The correct AC Delco battery is available and can be ordered by any parts supplier who sell AC Delco. You can search for one in your area on their website.

CCIE said:
MrDRMorgan said:
JeremyW said:

Be careful. The reason the Spark EV uses an AGM battery is because the Volt uses an AGM battery. They canabalized a lot of the parts/programming from the Volt to build the Spark EV, including the APM. The Volt needed an AGM battery because it is inside the cabin of the car. Lead Acid batteries give off hydrogen, so they needed to use AGM for safety.

With that in mind, consider that the Spark EV 12V battery is not inside the cabin (it's under the hood). So, why didn't they use a normal lead acid 12V battery? The answer is that the APM is designed to work with an AGM battery, and they didn't feel like reprogramming it.

So, you're risking damage to the APM if you don't use an AGM battery. It's your car, but I wouldn't risk it to save $50. The correct AC Delco battery is available and can be ordered by any parts supplier who sell AC Delco. You can search for one in your area on their website.
Good points to keep in mind. But, AC Delco's battery data shows many car brands, including Chevrolet, that are not EVs, using AGM batteries. Why? Is it because the battery is inside the cabin? A 2016 Spark ICE uses a sealed - not AGM - battery which is mounted in the engine compartment just like the battery in the Spark EV. I agree it is not worth the risk, if any, if there is only a $50 price difference and you can get a fresh battery. Prices I have seen show the price difference to be more like $75 to $100 depending on brand name.

I'm not sure why they use AGM batteries in applications that aren't inside the cabin.

It makes sense that the ICE Spark uses a regular lead acid battery. It's mounted under the hood and the car has a normal alternator. So, no reason not to use lead acid.

CCIE said:
...So, you're risking damage to the APM if you don't use an AGM battery. ....
This is a pretty tall statement.
How can the battery harm the device that is feeding it a small amount of current?
A battery is just floating online and the APM supplies power used by the car. When the car is powered up there is a slight current flow to the get the battery up to float/online voltage. Exactly the way an alternator/voltage regulator supplies voltage.
When the car us up and running, the battery is just floating online with all the rest of the 12 VDC system.

The one and only difference between the APM and an alternator in a gasser is it has an Anti-Sulfation mode. At least this is what I read on the Volt forum.
Voltage is voltage. The difference between the ideal floating AGM and ordinary Lead Acid batteries is very minor if at all, hence the cross reference to other battery types.

But if a +$200 battery is fine with you, that is a good safe way to go. Just check the 'manu date'.

NORTON said:
CCIE said:
...So, you're risking damage to the APM if you don't use an AGM battery. ....
This is a pretty tall statement.
How can the battery harm the device that is feeding it a small amount of current?
A battery is just floating online and the APM supplies power used by the car. When the car is powered up there is a slight current flow to the get the battery up to float/online voltage. Exactly the way an alternator/voltage regulator supplies voltage.
When the car us up and running, the battery is just floating online with all the rest of the 12 VDC system.

The one and only difference between the APM and an alternator in a gasser is it has an Anti-Sulfation mode. At least this is what I read on the Volt forum.
Voltage is voltage. The difference between the ideal floating AGM and ordinary Lead Acid batteries is very minor if at all, hence the cross reference to other battery types.
This is what I was thinking too. The solar charge controller I use for 12 volt AGM, sealed, and flooded lead acid batteries has to be set for the type of battery to be charged. The regulation voltage for AGM and sealed 12 volt lead-acid batteries is 14.1 volts [PWM] and 14.4 volts [PWM] for the flooded lead-acid battery. I will have to measure the charging voltage on the Spark EV's battery to see what regulation voltage GM used. I have used the same solar controller to charge all three types of batteries and I currently have it set up to charge the sealed battery in my pickup truck which is currently getting very little use.

Here are a few relevant threads from gm-volt.com. Bottom line, use a non-AGM battery at your own risk.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?279833-Chevy-Volt-2011-2015-12V-Battery-replacement-FAQ
"Can I replace the original battery with a regular lead-acid battery?
The Volt uses an AGM (Absorbant Glass Matt) battery. Using a standard 12-volt battery is not recommended. For one, a standard 12-volt battery will result in reduced 12-volt battery life. Two, software driving the charging schedule from the 14V power module (APM) assumes an AGM. Another reason is that the car's starting charge Voltage is 15.1 Volts which can kill all kinds of lead batteries..."

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?158921-Can-I-change-the-12V-battery-myself
Is there anything AGM only about the charging process, or does it work equally well with any lead acid battery?
WOT: Yes, the charging tables/schedules are stored in the BCM and are specific to the AGM type battery. If this battery is to be replaced with some other battery, it should be an AGM design.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?92913-can-you-put-another-type-of-12-volt-battery-in-volt
WOT: Why would you. Not recommended. The software driving the charging schedule from the 14V power module (APM) assumes an AGM.

MrDRMorgan said:
...The regulation voltage for AGM and sealed 12 volt lead-acid batteries is 14.1 volts [PWM] and 14.4 volts [PWM] for the flooded lead-acid battery. ...
Right, all very minor differences and when Temp Compensation is factored in the voltages crossover that range.

The LN1AGM battery is not an easy battery to find. I finally located a wholesale AC Delco parts distributor in Modesto, CA who gave me the name of the ONLY auto parts store anywhere near my home that carries AC Delco batteries. The auto parts store is about 15 miles from my home. I called the auto parts store today and they have to order the battery out of Sacramento. It will be here sometime tomorrow and will cost $152.45 plus tax and a core deposit of $11.00. This is only about $50 more than the sealed battery version of the LN1 so I ordered it. I will connect the battery to my solar battery charger to keep it charged until it is needed. Call it battery insurance!

MrDRMorgan said:
The LN1AGM battery is not an easy battery to find. I finally located a wholesale AC Delco parts distributor in Modesto, CA who gave me the name of the ONLY auto parts store anywhere near my home that carries AC Delco batteries. The auto parts store is about 15 miles from my home. I called the auto parts store today and they have to order the battery out of Sacramento. It will be here sometime tomorrow and will cost $152.45 plus tax and a core deposit of $11.00. This is only about $50 more than the sealed battery version of the LN1 so I ordered it. I will connect the battery to my solar battery charger to keep it charged until it is needed. Call it battery insurance!

The search tool below can be used to locate auto parts stores who sell AC Delco batteries. Any of them should be able to order the battery and get it within a day or two.

https://www.acdelco.com/service-parts-locator.html

CCIE said:
MrDRMorgan said:

The search tool below can be used to locate auto parts stores who sell AC Delco batteries. Any of them should be able to order the battery and get it within a day or two.

https://www.acdelco.com/service-parts-locator.html
Thanks for posting the link. I tested it for my area and it looks like all are repair garages and not auto parts stores. The auto parts store in Modesto, where I ordered my battery, was not even listed. I decided to put the new battery into my 2014 Spark EV and connect the old battery to my 12 volt solar charger.

MrDRMorgan said:
Thanks for posting the link. I tested it for my area and it looks like all are repair garages and not auto parts stores. The auto parts store in Modesto, where I ordered my battery, was not even listed. I decided to put the new battery into my 2014 Spark EV and connect the old battery to my 12 volt solar charger.

In the "Select One Option" area you have to select "Auto Parts Stores." Then in the "Select A Part" drop-down, select "Batteries." Then enter your location and search

I searched in your area and the Modesto store comes up.

CCIE said:
MrDRMorgan said:

In the "Select One Option" area you have to select "Auto Parts Stores." Then in the "Select A Part" drop-down, select "Batteries." Then enter your location and search

I searched in your area and the Modesto store comes up.
Duh!! When in doubt, read the instructions - carefully. Thanks for the correction. I picked up the new battery this afternoon and installed it in my 2014 Spark EV.

Back