Adding to battery

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffkay1967

Here is something to think about as Spark EV's are dropping in value and people might want to do more experimenting. Since losing capacity seems to be an issue everyone finds annoying, maybe adding aftermarket or DIY batteries might be an interesting project. Now I understand the concerns about cooling and battery chemistry with lithium, etc. Let's leave that out of the equation for the moment. Oh, and the obvious lack of extra space in the vehicle as well... My first concern is the "power in/out monitoring loop" built into the car. For example, when I was considering adding cells to my first generation Prius, my Prius guru buddy told me that the car uses "coulomb counting" to know what the capacity is and where the pack is in state-of-charge. So adding cells "confuses" the computer or worse yet puts it out of range of the engineered spec the car expects to have. It may even see added cells as a fault! Now I assume the Spark EV has the same issues. I bet the loss of capacity and regen play in our favor if we want to add some amount of battery, though I don't know how the computer would adjust for it "suddenly." Maybe those more in the know can chime in on this and also explain if outside charge is applied while in "ready" mode could be done. Not addingpower like charging level 1, 2 or DC charging... Let's discuss.
Jeff

It's a small, S-box, affordable, EV.
I will still love mine when it's a ~40 mile range EV.

How long will it be to get to that point???? No one knows.

People always ask, "How much for a replacement battery?"
I respond, "At what point do you decide to replace it?"

The car that got me to looking at EV's in the first place was the Tesla Roadster. While expensive and to address a rather small market, Tesla has made available a replacement battery with better capacity that stores roughly 40% more energy than the original battery.

After a few years of lusting after the Tesla Roadster, I came to learn about California compliance cars such as the Spark EV, found an affordable one, and took the plunge on a 2015. It just so happened to have DCFC, which I am very thankful I have. (I had not done my homework on this feature.)

Equivalent replacement batteries should be available for at least 8 years from GM if for no other reason to honor warranty claims. I hope that in the future, not only replacements but also upgrades are available, either from GM, a third party, or both. It is my understanding that LG makes the 2015-2016 batteries. They are in the best position to manufacture an upgrade. Time will tell, and it will probably be a few years, most likely between 2020 and 2025.

In the meantime, I hope to see some significant DCFC infrastructure expansion, especially along major US interstate highways. That's the fastest option for "Adding to battery" at the moment.

There is zero chance that either GM or LG/Chem will offer upgraded batteries. Too few cars were sold, and they are not in the aftermarket upgrades business. They want you to buy a new car.

CCIE said:
There is zero chance that either GM or LG/Chem will offer upgraded batteries. Too few cars were sold, and they are not in the aftermarket upgrades business. They want you to buy a new car.

Agreed. A VERY LIKELY and good example of this WILL BE the Nissan LEAF. I asked Bjorn Nyland to ask Nissan about a 40kwh upgrade (he attended an event in Europe, prior to which he asked viewers to comment any questions they wanted asked). @ 3:24 https://youtu.be/ljnlt3b1dO8

Regarding a range extended pack, there's a guy in Canada who tried it with success and then locked up his LEAF, making it inoperable, until the dealer fixed it (he left his extender pack connected before shutting off his car, by accident). Pretty ingenious, he's the playlist link: https://youtu.be/Ztejn3YYbvw?list=PL5Nz1FJp-6dtcfy52ArsE6-EyGCAKRlS1
Personally, I think reconstructing the whole pack with higher capacity cells and finding a way to modify the vehicle's software, is the only safe way to do it..... and by the time this engineering feat has been accomplished, you have staggering amounts of time and/or money spent. To each their own.

Back