Long Term Storage

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxwerks

I might be going on a trip that might roughly last 2 1/2 weeks. I was wondering what the proper procedure is during this extended period time away.

I heard of a "Transport Mode" for the Volt where the battery is placed in a prolong standby mode. I don't know if this feature is available for the Spark?
http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7310

That's not very long, so I wouldn't give it a lot of thought. Maybe leave the battery around 50%.

I'll see if that mode works later today, the Spark EV is mentioned as an applicable vehicle so I would be surprised if it didn't work.

Procedure: To turn the Transport Mode On/Off, it will be necessary to start the vehicle, activate the hazard flashers, press the brake pedal (automatic transmission) or clutch pedal (manual transmission) then press and hold the Start/Stop button or turn the ignition key to the crank position for 15 seconds. (The engine will turn OFF on push button vehicles.) The same steps are used to turn on the feature.

Probably better to put the 12v on a tender than put things into storage mode, but if you can't charge the 12v during your trip then this is probably the next best thing. Only caveat I would say is don't use this in very cold or very hot weather as the TMS would probably not run to cool or heat the traction pack.

JeremyW said:
... put things into storage mode, .. I would say is don't use this in very cold or very hot weather as the TMS would probably not run to cool or heat the traction pack.
The Spark does not run TMS unless plugged in or powered on.

For 2015-2016's it appears that the TMS can run with the car off and unplugged, but it might be only in "extreme" temps http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18673

I can confirm that the Spark EV can be put into storage mode:
X2wCj7im.jpg

JeremyW said:
For 2015-2016's it appears that the TMS can run with the car off and unplugged, but it might be only in "extreme" temps ...
Wow, that was a long thread and I'm still not sure if this car will use battery power to heat or cool the pack, as required, while unplugged.
I have read that a Tesla only does THIS down to 80% SOC, then stops providing TMS to save the SOC for driving.

edit: Tesla's and Leaf's also have a 'Charge only to 80%'. I think I read this is for battery life reasons. If you don't need 100% SOC, (for a road trip), you shouldn't charge that high.

How can we prove the Spark will do something similar?
Surely it has a cut-off point for this feature,, if it has it.
You don't want to come home from an extended vacation to find you Spark unable to drive from the airport to the nearest DCFC.

Back