Level 1 charging

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcampbel

Just a quick question. With the OEM level 1 charger that comes with the Spark, does it by any chance have the capability to be plugged into a NEMA 240 outlet with the right adapter? Not that I need it to do so, just wondering.

Thanks for any comments.

There is no such thing as a "NEMA 240 outlet". If you mean a 240V socket (there are several different types), then no - it isn't like the EVSE shipped with Volt or Bolt that can handle 240V with a pigtail adaptor.

'Maybe',,, if you want to go rogue and have a potentially dangerous outlet in your house. (plus you only get 2.8 kW charging that way.)

Or, you can open your dusty old billfold a little bit more and buy a proper 3.3kW L2.
Have you seen how inexpensive these are lately? (Amazon)

NORTON said:
'Maybe',,, if you want to go rogue and have a potentially dangerous outlet in your house.

Or, you can open your dusty old billfold a little bit more and buy a proper 3.3kW L2.
Have you seen how inexpensive these are lately?
Very good advice!

I would suggest a Clipper Creek LCS-20P. This is a 240 volt / 16 amp L2 EVSE. you can order it for hard wiring or select one of a number of NEMA plug options.

I have a LCS-20P with the NEMA 14-50 plug so, I can charge at RV parks in an emergency. I also purchased an adapter cable to convert from the NEMA 14-50 plug on my LCS-20P to a NEMA 14-30 plug so I can, if necessary, also use the power available at some Flying J truck stops. I once tried connecting at a Flying J but I could not connect to the power company's phone number to activate the power pedestal. So, I haven't fully tested this set up but everything connected correctly mechanically.

timcampbel said:
Just a quick question. With the OEM level 1 charger that comes with the Spark, does it by any chance have the capability to be plugged into a NEMA 240 outlet with the right adapter? Not that I need it to do so, just wondering.

Thanks for any comments.

It's not hard to convert the stock EVSE to be 120/240, if you have some wiring/soldering skills. I converted mine using the video below and have had no issues. No unsafe outlets are required, and the ground on the EVSE is retained. But, as with everything in life, proceed at your own risk.

https://youtu.be/D2-_pfCtPu4

Back