Gurgling sound of liquid running through pipes when charging

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveMyWheels

I just bought a used 2015 Spark EV and love it so far. One thing concerns me: After I plugged in my L2 charger inside the garage for the first time I was surprised to hear the noise of fluid running through pipes. It's not a hissing sound, but rather a very noticeable gurgling sound as if there is liquid and air in the system. I assume this is the coolant for the on-board charger or battery being moved around. Is this sound normal? Do I have to have a dealer bleed the air out of the system somehow? Any guidance would be highly appreciated.

I have never heard these sounds.

The most I have heard is the cooling fans coming on slowly and the AC compressor ramping up after plugging in on a hot day, after leaving the car unplugged most of the day.
Normally all I hear when I plug in is a few light clicks and clunks as relays (?) engage somewhere...

Are all the coolant reservoirs under your hood at a good level?
If so,, maybe a trip to the dealer might be worth the hassle... Good luck with that. :(

I believe it is perfectly normal. I got my Spark a few weeks ago and heard the same exact sounds. This is what the manual states in section 1-16: "The charging system may run fans
and pumps that result in sounds from the vehicle while it is turned off."

Cheezecake said:
I believe it is perfectly normal. I got my Spark a few weeks ago and heard the same exact sounds. This is what the manual states in section 1-16: "The charging system may run fans
and pumps that result in sounds from the vehicle while it is turned off."
I hear that too. I think that is the sound of the battery coolant moving through the system. You may also hear a stepped whine which is the AC system cooling the coolant for the battery. Both noises are normal.

A big Thank You to all that responded. Seems what I have been experiencing is normal and I can stop worrying. :)
Last night I charged for the second time and the gurgling sound in the cooling system was much less. Maybe the first charging was so unusual, because the car was delivered by Carvana on a flatbed truck. When they unload, the ramp has quite an angle and the coolant may have shifted into odd places.
After 4 days I have to say this is a great little car!

Back