Spark EV in the shop, waiting for parts

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cephas2000

A few weeks back, my 2015 Spark EV presented me with some errors one morning when trying to start it.

The main display alternated the messages, "Propulsion Power is Reduced" and "Out of Energy, Charge Vehicle Now!". The center display read, "Not Able to Charge".

It had been plugged in all night to my eMotorwerks JuicePro 40. When I plugged it in the night before, it had a partial charge, between 20-40%. The car has 36,000 miles and has been great

I borrowed a friend's OBD reader and got these codes:

• P0D22: Battery Charger Output Current Performance
• P0AF8: Hybrid/EV Battery System Voltage

Research told me very little, other than resetting the codes may help. It didn't.

I had it towed to the nearest dealer. After 3 days, I was able to pick it up, but the work order said they basically did a General Reset. No specific cause was identified. It charged fine overnight and ran great the next day, but the day after, I had the same errors.

I had the joy of having it towed again (at GM's expense).

3 days later, they told me the needed part is on a "national backorder" with no estimate of when they'll have it. The service advisor wasn't able to give me details on the part, other than it has "charger" in the description. (In his defense, he didn't have access to the computer at the time and was working from memory.

They've now had it for 10 days and I'd love some input and/or advice. It is apparently covered under warranty, but I don't want to wait for this uncertainty, which is ridiculous.

Thoughts and thanks in advance

Bummer, I'd really like to know what the part is.
Is it a Spark EV specific item? "National Backorder" ? That can't be good.

I'd bring in a dozen quality donuts first thing some morning and get the info.
Take pictures of the part description and part number, then you could do your own research.

This wouldn't be lighting a fire under their azz, but close....

10 days is unexceptable....

NORTON said:
I'd bring in a dozen quality donuts first thing some morning and get the info.

No, no, no. Fresh baked brownies or cookies are necessary to win the hearts and stomachs of service writers and mechanics :lol:

Cephas2000 said:
The service advisor wasn't able to give me details on the part, other than it has "charger" in the description.

If they can more readily use a 7.2kw from a Bolt or updated Volt, tell them that would be preferable ;)

Cephas2000 said:
A few weeks back, my 2015 Spark EV presented me with some errors one morning when trying to start it.

The main display alternated the messages, "Propulsion Power is Reduced" and "Out of Energy, Charge Vehicle Now!". The center display read, "Not Able to Charge".

It had been plugged in all night to my eMotorwerks JuicePro 40. When I plugged it in the night before, it had a partial charge, between 20-40%. The car has 36,000 miles and has been great

I borrowed a friend's OBD reader and got these codes:

• P0D22: Battery Charger Output Current Performance
• P0AF8: Hybrid/EV Battery System Voltage

Research told me very little, other than resetting the codes may help. It didn't.

I had it towed to the nearest dealer. After 3 days, I was able to pick it up, but the work order said they basically did a General Reset. No specific cause was identified. It charged fine overnight and ran great the next day, but the day after, I had the same errors.

I had the joy of having it towed again (at GM's expense).

3 days later, they told me the needed part is on a "national backorder" with no estimate of when they'll have it. The service advisor wasn't able to give me details on the part, other than it has "charger" in the description. (In his defense, he didn't have access to the computer at the time and was working from memory.

They've now had it for 10 days and I'd love some input and/or advice. It is apparently covered under warranty, but I don't want to wait for this uncertainty, which is ridiculous.

Thoughts and thanks in advance
Sounds somewhat familiar. On 8 Nov 2017 I took my 2015 Spark EV in for a diagnostic evaluation because my yellow Service Vehicle Soon light came on. At the same time I lost about 1.5 kWh of battery capacity. The codes they found were ECM P1E00, HYBRID P3009 and P3023. Bottom line - the dealer had to replace the battery charger control module. What I found interesting was I was told the DCFC function would not work but L1 and L2 EVSEs would work fine. So, not believing them, I drove to my favorite EVgo location, connected to the DCFC and promptly charged the car without any problem. In addition, the yellow Service Vehicle Soon light never came on again.

The dealer ordered the part and on 19 December 2017 I finally was notificed the part had come in. I took the car back to the dealer and they installed the part. I never had any further problems other than I never recovered the lost battery capacity. The car was leased and, in May 2018, I turned it back in to the dealer.

Good Luck!

My 2015 Spark EV has been driving and charging without any problems, except the "service engine soon" light came on. Dealership checked and found code P1E00. Techs think this was caused by a brief power outage while the car was charging. I'm hoping this doesn't happen repeatedly once we enter thunderstorm season. ;-/ Luckily, the car was "Certified Pre-owned" and we didn't have to pay for the diagnostics this time.

Back