How accurate is Torque Pro for battery capacity?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGriffinSpark

Morning all! I just recieved a 2015 Spark EV 5 days ago and have been loving it so far! I've used Torque Pro for several years on various ICE cars, but this is the first EV for me. I got it set up this morning, and I noticed that my battery capacity is only 14.8 kWH. How much can I trust that number? I haven't been able to add the numbers up yet because I don't have a Level 2 EVSE yet and I've been driving a lot. I admit that I drove it like I stole it the first two days, but I've been averaging 3.8 miles per kW for the past 3... the highest number the GOM has given me so far was 60 miles. It's been between 40-60F the whole time, but I've used the heater very little.

Any thoughts?

TheGriffinSpark said:
Morning all! I just recieved a 2015 Spark EV 5 days ago and have been loving it so far! I've used Torque Pro for several years on various ICE cars, but this is the first EV for me. I got it set up this morning, and I noticed that my battery capacity is only 14.8 kWH. How much can I trust that number? I haven't been able to add the numbers up yet because I don't have a Level 2 EVSE yet and I've been driving a lot. I admit that I drove it like I stole it the first two days, but I've been averaging 3.8 miles per kW for the past 3... the highest number the GOM has given me so far was 60 miles. It's been between 40-60F the whole time, but I've used the heater very little.

Any thoughts?
Since June 2018, I have been using Torque Pro coupled with an OBDLink MX adapter for bluetooth. Today, after 30 measurements and 4000 miles, My measurements have ranged from 16.7 kWh when I started taking measurements to 16.4 kWh at my latest measurement. My 2016 Spark EV 2LT had 14394 miles on the ODO when I took my last measurement on Nov 12. I normally charge using my L2 EVSE when driving around town. On the road, I make heavy use of EVgo DCFC stations. I think the Torque Pro number is the best HV battery capacity estimate you will be able to get. I also get similar results on my 2014 Spark EV 2LT w/o the fast-charge option.

I also monitor the battery temperature at the time of the test to see if battery temperature affects the capacity measurement. I am beginning to think it does.

Back